This happened on Wednesday

azspyder

This is a true scenario that happened to me Wed. afternoon. Before I go into the details, let me tell you a little about me so that you can put it in perspective. I am a 73 year old male, 6' and 165 lbs. I am in decent health except for arthritis (shoulders & knees) and early emphysema. I have a CCW and regularly carry a Kimber Ultra Carry in an IWB holster with a Hawaiian shirt untucked. I am an investigator and my work puts me in unsavory neighborhoods from time to time. I practice at the range weekly (50 to 100 rounds) using Weaver stance, offhand with both left and right hands and one-handed both sides. I'm relatively proficient and usually hit what I aim at.
Wed. afternoon found me in one of those neighborhoods where I stopped a Circle K for a bottle of water (112 degrees). I had to park at the end of the building and as I walked by, I noticed what appeared to be a typical wino (40 to 50, small build, dirty, unshaven and smelly) leaning against the building. I ignored him, went in and got my water and started back to my car. As I walked past this guy, I heard him mumble something about "5 bucks". Thinking he was a panhandler, I said "No thanks" and kept walking. About 10 feet later, I heard him say loudly, "I said I need 5 bucks". I turned around to see him in a fighting crouch with a knife in his right hand (looked like a 4 to 5" blade folder). My first thought was run, but in my physical condition, that's a non-starter. I started back-pedaling, lifted my shirt with my left hand, exposing my weapon while grabbing the grip with my right. I did not draw my weapon. At that point, the guy turned around and ran. Someone in store had called 911 and the police came. I showed them my CCW and all was well.
I wonder what would have happened if he hadn't run? Given that there were people behind him, I couldn't take an aimed shot at that distance. My plan was to draw and one hand him in the pelvis as fast as I could pull the trigger.

What do you guys think?

well....

I think you acted wisely. it makes me think about the times that I do not look back at them the second time they ask for cash. who knows? maybe he would have fforced the issue but that would not have been your fault. good reaction. :) :) ;) ;)

First off, you did great and I'm glad you are OK.
What could you have done better? IMHO in the situation given, not a thing. The conclusion of the encounter is evidence of your success.

The only thing I would advise is shooting COM. You have a much better chance at stopping the threat, and less chance of a miss and hitting a bystander. Yes, he may have continued his charge. That is why you carry multiple rounds. Chances are, he would not have continued. There are only a couple of types who will continue to charge while soaking up .45ACP in the chest, and a wino with a knife wanting $5 from a stranger doesn't fit the profile. Here's the last hip shot thread.

One other thing........ the backpedaling........... Yes, increasing distance is advised in lethal encounters, but falling on your butt is not. In a parking lot or in front of a convienence store is a bad place to back pedal. There are just to many different levels of surface and to many things to run into behind you. Take a look at this thread to see what I mean.

All in all, you did fine though. I'm sure you will get accused of brandishing in this thread. I, myself, think you showed a lot of restraint. Your actions are a credit to CCW holders everywhere.

applaud your response. you showed a good deal of restraint in not drawing and conducting yourself in a way that positively reflects on the CCW community. high fives! ;)

Xavier
Your points are well taken. My reasoning was that he was well within knife danger range and that I would need to stop him, not just kill him. I was taught that the pelvis is a good target in that it screws up his movements. Also I practice that particular move.

You're right about backpedaling...I think I panicked and wanted to get more distance.

Brandishing. The police who responded said I did it right and it was not brandishing because I was in fear for my life...and I sure was! They were very nice and complimentary.

Spyder - Great awareness and good instincts. You did nothing wrong, and I am glad you did not have to draw. Another crime averted. :D

IF the encounter was forced (wino did not run but continued to charge:)
I would have fired 2 COM shots, but then I carry .40 HP loads in my summer gun. Overpenetration is always an issue but if his chest cavity absorbs or deflects most of the round's power, the chances of it hitting and severely injuring someone in the backdrop would be much less. :eek:

I do not know if you carry FMJ in your .45.

Duxman,
I carry Hornady 200 XTP for social loads...I practice with hardball. The Hornady is more accurate...I figure, if I can hit with hard ball, I can hit with the carry load.

I should have also have mentioned that, because of my shoulder, I carry in the appendix style. When I lifted my shirt, he could see the gun.

Azspyder,
No sense in rehashing all the valid points regarding hip shots here, that's why I edited my post and included a link to the last thread. There are very valid points made in it. Check it out, it's an excellent read. If you have faith in your ability to stop a man with a hip shot, and are ready to stake your life on that faith, who am I to question you?

Brandishing is brandishing, ie, showing a weapon in any form to deter a threat. Personally, I think the legal term should be changed to unjustified brandishing to describe the illegal brandishing of a firearm. That would clear out a lot of misconceptions. I guess people would have to think then, and it's just easier to say don't do it.

Please don't think I am judging you. I'm not. I would like to think I had handled the same situation as well as you. I'm very glad that you are OK and still contributing here.

I just got a call from Phx PD saying they had caught the guy and he is locked up.

Here's what AZ says about the subject:
"13-405. Justification; use of deadly physical force

A person is justified in threatening or using deadly physical force against another:

1. If such person would be justified in threatening or using physical force against the other under section 13-404, and

2. When and to the degree a reasonable person would believe that deadly physical force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly physical force. "

The LEOs said that covered me nicely. The County Att'y office tells me the case will probably be pled out; if not, I'll be called to testify. My guess is he'll plead...there must have been 15 witnesses.

azspyder you did good.

You used your tool defensively, and you can talk about it. No blood was spilled.

Be carefull and stay safe. Oh, and keep practicing too.

nug

azspyder,

I believe you did a GREAT job: no shots fired, no blood spilled, AND YOU ARE UNHARMED. Personally, I cannot think of anything I would have altered regarding the way you handled the situation.

Now I am not an attorney, however I believe you would have justified -- reasonable fear of immediate and grave bodily harm or even death -- to have fired on the felon. I am glad you were not compelled to do so, for many reasons.

My hat is off to you and to the way in which you dealt with this situation.

Thanks for the kind comments, guys.
Xavier, I read your links...your advice is sound...Thanks.
Ace in the hole...I have a brother in law who is a Deputy County Attorney. He tells me that there's no way I will be charged. Now, if I had shot him while he was running...different story.

The only thing I feel you did 'wrong', was to not be more aware of this guy going in, and coming out. He got the drop on ya, and if his intent was to harm you first, take your money later, you would have been his oyster.
Glad your response handled the matter. Walking away with no one being hurt is never a bad thing.

Just curious, how do you feel about the incident now that things have settled a bit? Is hindsight 20/20, are you relieved...questioning your handling of the situation?

I think you did a stellar job, and only hope I have enough nerve like you did to keep cool if someone whips out a knife like that.

Azspyder, . . .

I would first say you did a great job, . . . came home safe and no blood shed.

If I was forced to find something negative to say, . . . it would only be that I have always been under the impression that if the situation is bad enough that I need to show the guy my iron, . . . he will probably well remember seeing the front end of the barrel.

And I have to say that partially because I carry either in a shoulder holster, or a side holster generally at about 4:30, . . . I would have to pull it out to get him to understand the gravity of his stupidity.

All in all, though, . . . again, . . . great job.

May God bless,
Dwight

Thanks for sharing the real life experience!
i believe that in most states, showing that you have a weapon is different from drawing and threatening with the weapon. Drawing the gun would be in the realm of brandishing if the situation wasn't deemed a real threat. I do not believe that just showing the weapon could have resulted in that charge, but I'm not a lawyer, just what I though they taught us in the CCW class.
This situation leaves one cause to rethink the size of the weapon as well. Lately I was moving towards a small mouse gun for summer carry, but then would a small gun deep in the waist band have had the same effect without having to draw it out?
Seeing a larger grip would have slightly more sobering effect on some.
Not sure if that makes a difference or not, but a mini gun that is almost totally hidden in your hand just isn't going to look the same as say a Glock 19!
Once my brother was accosted in a bad part of Oakland by a BG. He was LEO, so he did carry off duty. The big thug said, "What if I just beat you up and took your money?"
Like true Dirty Harry style, (and my bro is thin guy) my brother said,
" and what if I just blow you away" with a jesture towards his waist (never had to actually show his piece).
The thug turned and walked quickly away.
He also once stopped a guy running away by holding his hands in a weaver style stance and yelled, Stop or I will shoot!
Just hootspa in preventing situations I believe as well.

A couple of comments. Mannlicher suggested that I probably should have been more aware of the guy going in...and he's right. As an old fighter pilot and race car driver, I have had "situational awareness" pounded into to me most of my life. I certainly wasn't as watchful as I should have been. In addition, I have difficulty remembering that, at my age, I look more like a victim than I am prepared to be.
Chris wanted to know how I feel about it now that it's over. Well, the word that comes to mind is shook . In hindsight, I probably wouldn't have backpedaled (luckily, I didn't trip), but other than that, I think I did rather well. I'm grateful for the time I spent training and practicing, because it gave me the confidence to stay cool. I was asked by the LEO investigating if I would have shot if the perp had kept coming. My answer was "In a heartbeat". He smiled.

I was asked by the LEO investigating if I would have shot if the perp had kept coming. My answer was "In a heartbeat". He smiled.

Hopefully it was a good, "'atta boy" smile, instead of a sinister, "gotcha" smile. Sounds like it was, thankfully.

Back