this experiment looks dangerous

I'm sure there are professionals who conduct experiments for firearms and ammunition in certain labs to ensure the guns and ammo we buy meet certain safety standards. The Internet has videos of a lot of stupid stuff posted. If it looks dangerous, it's prudent not to do what you see online.

Monkey see, monkey do. Not with guns.

Was it dumb? It may have been a personal experiment; however, it appears, at least from the video, it was a safe experiment. Far enough away from the shooter and assuming there was a decent backdrop for the fired rounds. Hopefully not at a local range.
I believe they're out of SLC therefore, not hard to drive 30 minutes and find a lot of vacant Federal lands managed by BLM (Bureau of Land Management..not that other BLM) where this could have been done quite safely.

I have a scar that wraps around the outside of my right wrist, from a ruptured .30-30 casing that curved around two other people and impacted me, after the primer was hit by .22 LR.
1/10 Would not recommend the experience.

AlongCameJones said:
I'm sure there are professionals who conduct experiments for firearms and ammunition in certain labs to ensure the guns and ammo we buy meet certain safety standards.
Can you point me to the lab test results for shooting the primer of a .50 BMG and how that certifies minimum safety standards are met?

I believe they're out of SLC therefore, not hard to drive 30 minutes and find a lot of vacant Federal lands managed by BLM (Bureau of Land Management..not that other BLM) where this could have been done quite safely.
Tracers are prohibited on Federal land - and generally June through October on private land in Utah. Filming the use of such has proven to be a bad idea.
But, it matters not. FullMag is based in Tennessee. Very likely on private land, and significantly less fire hazard.

A little effort, imagination, expense and proved what ???? !!!!

That 12 MILLION people will watch a video of a .22 lighting off a .50 BMG.

Seems like a pretty successful experiment.

I don't know if any commercial firearms and ammo labs shoot .50 cal rounds with .22's per se but that video looks like a private experiment done by someone perhaps not qualified. The guy firing the .22 gun at the .50 cal round is lucky the .50 case did not hit him in the head. I saw that case shoot back fast. I knew the brass would fly back knowing something about high school physics. Normally, the .50 brass is held in the chamber of a heavy machine gun so it has nowhere to fly upon discharge except out through the ejection port. The whole video looks to me like horseplay with guns and ammunition. I think the guy wanted to find out if that .50 round was a dud.

He explicitly stated his intent in the beginning of the video.
Perhaps you should watch it again.

The whole video looks to me like horseplay with guns and ammunition.
I disagree.
But even if you view it as such, it was in a controlled environment.
And, much to the surprise of many people on the internet, a person does not have to do everything they see in videos.

At about age 10, 50 some odd years ago, a neighbor boy and I decided we would try to set off a 12 gauge shell by hitting the primer with a BB gun. We were back about 5 yards is all. I'd bet we shot 100 BBs at that shell that day. Denting the heck out of the primer. It never did ignite. The stupid things boys do while bored out on the farm.

We should not use guns and ammo for personal science experiments.

That is a very broad statement. Every time a reloader runs a ladder test for velocity, accuracy, pressure signs, etc., it is a personal science experiment. What do you have against that?

I get it. You didn't like the video or how the test was conducted. That is no reason to throw out the baby with the bath water.

A reloader generally operates within the confines of a manual. I don't frown upon that. I don't know everything, but I don't want to try what that guy did in the video.

Back