Thinking of trading Glock 22 for a 19 - pros & cons?

glockjeeper

I'm thinking of making this swap, mainly because of all this crap about kaBooms I keep hearing about with the .40, plus I feel fine with the 9 for defense. Any personal reasons you guys think I should or should not make this swap? Thanks for your opinions in advance and please be kind.

I think it's a good idea however I doubt you will find someone that will trade even with you. The G19 is very popular. I prefer the 9mm and presently have a G17 and G19.

i have both and love them both. i use my G19 for defense (because i live in NJ and need to use the EFMJ) and i shoot them both at the range a lot. i would never even consider getting rid of either of them. i'm not worried about a KB, i don't reload and only shoot American made FMJ ammo (mostly American Eagle 155 or 165gr). 99.99% of all KBs are because of bad reloads and a KB can happen in any gun. if you really want to make the switch then go ahead but if you're shooting good quality ammo in your G22 then i don't see a real reason to.

KaB worries are way overblown in my opinion. I shoot 180 gr. reloads in my G35 with no problems whatsoever. With factory jacketed ammo there is even less worry.

I just sold my G19 today because (1) no CCW in my state, and (2) I've discovered that I shoot better with the longer grip of a full size Glock. Consequently, if I were you I would keep the G22 as it is a full size model. My G19 and I were plenty accurate with the as-is factory sights when I did slower groups, but I just couldn't maintain that accuracy when I went faster.

If you really want a 9mm Glock, consider the original model G17, which is the same size as your G22. On the other hand, you and your needs may be completely different. Just some food for thought.

Good luck,
AndyP

g22 for a g19?

glockjeeper,

I have seriously considered trading my g22 for a g17/19. However, my reasons are different. I'm not worried about the kabooms. What I was a little more concerned about was reloading the brass that the g22 spits out. Upon inspection I have found that the brass is more of an oblonged shape after ejection. Also, since I'm still in college I can't afford to shoot .40S&W as much as 9mm. By the time I put 1k rounds of .40S&W downrange, I could have put 2k rounds of 9mm down the tube of my gun(s).

This seems to be more of a personal decision and my input is probably null & void. However, I would recommend that you keep the g22 and shoot factory ammo. I see nothing wrong with shooting reloads, just as long as you follow load specifications and are a seasoned reloader.

My reason(s) for trading a g22 are completely different than yours. I'd trade for economical reasons. I won't trade due to fear of kabooms unless I actually see one in person, or if there is valid test documentation that proves that my/your/our g22s are very susceptible to kabooms.

In other words, I elaborated on what I could've summed up in a single sentence.

Do what you feel most comfortable with.

I definately know this didn't help,
Jim

Glock 22

I had to carry a Mdl 22 as my duty gun for several years, and I wasn't impressed with the accuracy. It just wouldn't shoot 180 gr bullets, but did better with 155 gr rounds. My Mdl 23 would shoot circles around the Mdl 22. I've shot a few Mdl 19's, but have to admit I'm not that familiar with their performance. After retiring, I've gone to my real gun of choice, a 1911. Good luck with the Glocks...

If you are concerned that much, buy a different .40 barrel that has full support. If you want a 9mm I think there are barrels that convert your pistol without having to change the extractor.

I did and never looked back. Well, maybe just a peak...

Glocks have blown up on cop/civilian ranges here in 40/45/357 w factory ammo from Federal, Speer, Remington and PMC. One was a KKM barrel too. The county/state uses the 40/45/357 and don't worry about it (and the county has blown 40/45s w factory ammo too).

City has had shootings w 124/147 9mm HS through auto/store/house glass w good stops. Sheriffs just failed to stop a guy with seven (7) hits (2 face, 2 hands, 3 COM) 165/40 Gold Dots (the new hotter stuff in nickel cases) through auto glass and another failure through house glass (one hit COM). Go figure. :)

Thanks for the responses guys!

Duke of Lawnchair, your response was appreciated and did help. Your right, the 9 is cheaper to shoot. I LOVE the .45 and its not cheap either. I guess I'm slowly getting over the 40 kaBoom thing, its just all I hear about lately and it is always in the back of my mind when I'm shooting it. Thats why I was considering swapping, so I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. But I've never had a problem before with other 40s and I only shoot factory loads anyhow. So I'm going to keep it for now, besides, I just got a M3 tac-light and Fobus holster for it today!

Glad you're keeping it.

Glad you won't be trading your G22. You'd lose money anyway. If you want a G17or G19 look for a used one.

I traded my G19 for a Sig228. I couldn't be more happy. I just decided after 8 years of shooting, the Glock just didn't fit me. Plus, I never was able to get the precision accuracy that Sig allows me to achieve. Sig is fantastic; 1911's are better.

I've seen lots of posts advising against reloading .40 brass from a Glock, due to case bulging from the unsupported chamber. Is this also an issue with the various 9mm or 45 Glocks?

Bri

Not as much if any.Some of them do ding the heck outta brass on ejection though; give em a good look.

The first Glock I saw blow up was a 9mm G17 in 1987 in Las Vegas at the old Survival Store range with some "nuclear" reloads. :)

Back