Thinking of getting a Sako (?) Mosin-Nagant

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Here's what I am looking at: an Imperial receiver, a full-length 1945 barrel. Beech stock, all metal is bare steel, no bluing ever applied. Sling swivels but no sling, baoynet mount bout no bayonet. Finnish rebuild marks, Russian crest ground off. Because the serial number is supposedely higher than any officially reported by Sako, the store wants $100. Wood is in good condition, metal has tiny dings and scratches but no visible structural damage. Chamber looks fine but I'd need a light to ascertain.

1)Worth $100?
2)How's the kick compared to a P17/P14?
3)Are replacement aperture sights available?
4)Any typical trouble spots to watch? Do I need to remove the wood to look for rust under it?
5)Steel or brass stripper clips? Is there a better source of those than JG Sales?

PS: I read all the on-line info on these rifles. Historic interest is part-reason for getting it (though this one was re-barreled after the Winter/Continuation war).

------------------
Oleg "cornered rat" Volk (JPFO,NRA)

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

Oleg,

I like the Finnish Mosin-Nagants myself as their accuracy standards of 1.5" at 100 meters makes the amongt the most accurate of standard military rifles. If you have the money though and Sarco didn't sell out yet, get a Russian M91/30 sniper rifle with the PU scope first. Being fewer in numbers than the Finnish rifle, they're more collectable. Also, it's the cheapest anyone will ever see a genuine surplus sniper rifle for in years to come (or ever again).

I'll probably get the Finnish rifle too, but first a couple of CMP Garands.

Gary

I would love to buy a Finnish Moisin-Nagant. First, where can you acquire one? Second, what do they cost? Third, and most important, how in the world can you safely engage and disengage the safety? I've tried with several Russian Moisins, and find it unbelievably difficult!

------------------
For God so loved the world that he gave his onlly begoten Son...

Oleg:

I've got some Mosin's but don't consider myself any expert. $100 may be a little high for the rifle you described unless it is really rare (see next para.). If the blueing is totally gone and only silver is showing, it may be that the gun was for parades, etc.

You can get better value answers, much more info, from Tuco's MOSIN-NAGANT.NET/ site. Don't even have to register to post.

I don't know what P17/P14 are, but the kick on a M-N rifle (with a steel buttplate) is enough that I bought butt pad at WalMart - has made the gun a lot more fun to shoot.

Per ojib... post, I only have Russian and Polish (Russian machines) M-Ns, and their safety is indeed a pain (rotating the bolt counter clockwise about 50 degrees, and you can't get your fingers underneath; stock is too close.)

Anyway, I enjoy these M-Ns for just shooting fun.

Lastly, as info, sometimes Century Arms has these on sale - in Good condition with cracked stocks - dealer cost 4 for $100. I think they also have sales on the better condition M-Ns too.

Back