Thinking about new press

Linker

I have just about decided on a new press. I currently have an RCBS partner. Will I be able to insert my dies without recalibrating them or will I have to start over with each.

Did you break or somehow wear out your RCBS press??

or are you just bored with it?? :rolleyes:

Dies will need to be checked for proper adjustment to any other press. Where you have them set right now, for your old press may, or MAY NOT be the right spot with a different press.

The difference might be small but its likely there will be a difference, and a few thousands of an inch matters in reloading.

I can also recommend the Lee Classic Turret press. You can purchase a die holder for each caliber and once set up just swap in the caliber you need.

I can also recommend the Lee Classic Turret press. You can purchase a die holder for each caliber and once set up just swap in the caliber you need.
And I'm also going to pile on in favor of the LCT. I've been recommending the LCT for years and I still think it is the best bang for the $ - for an entry-level turret press.
I have owned two of them, one purchased 20 years ago that I gave to my son-in-law and another I purchased two years ago with which I load all my rifle fodder.

I have just about decided on a new press. I currently have an RCBS partner. Will I be able to insert my dies without recalibrating them or will I have to start over with each.
you will have to recalibrate your dies.

what press are you looking at? What are you looking to do? Are you looking at a taller press for larger cartridges? or a turret to make setup faster/simpler? or a progressive to increase output speed? or something else?

Linker, you will have to readjust your dies.
Folks need more reason for what you want out of a new press. Nothing wrong with RCBS presses and there have been some good suggestions made. What do you want to do and how deep are your pockets?

Big fan of the Lee Turret press. I have two of them now. Mine are four holers - the original was three. Recommend that you get the four-hole version so you can use the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Did you break or somehow wear out your RCBS press??…

The Partner press is a small, light duty press, I’ve had mine for over 30 years but while I did use it for a time for all loading duties when my Rockchucker was shipped in for repairs, it’s been relegated to smaller tasks for years. It is nothing like a Rebel or Rockchucker in strength or ability, I can understand replacing it as one gets more serious about reloading.

I use my Partner press exclusively for seating bullets. I’m sure it would work fine for most lighter type loading chores but I still use my 37 year old Orange Crusher for the heavy work. I do all my pistol loading on my LCT.

love the Lee turret press myself. $15 turrets. You can dedicate a turret to each cartridge the swap the turret and the shellholder and change cartridges in less than a minute

I'm a big fan of RCBS and own a couple of Rock Chuckers (one is a handmedown from my Grandfather dating back to the 50s), a newer Rebel and a Partner. I used the Partner for seating some times when I am running a production line with my Son. It's not strong enough to really do the quantity we do in terms of decapping and resizing, etc., imho.

Still, even though I love RCBS, when it's just me I go-to my Redding T7. I spend more time behind the T7 than anything these days and enjoy doing-so. I just ordered a Creedmoor Enhanced Press Head for it. Basically a balanced and blue printed turret head from solid stock stainless.

Cannot say enough good things about the T7.

Sold my 650s when I quit shooting competitively and have never looked back. I still have a Hornady LnL which I rarely use anymore. Actually my Son took it home with him this weekend.

Point being, if you're going-to upgrade ... go big, within reason. Whether it be a Lee or RCBS or Lyman or Redding, consider going with a turret press and you'll likely never regret it. I've seen too many newbies jump from a single stage to a progressive and it rarely works-out.

Linker,

What are you looking for with the change? More speed? The Lee Turret already suggested will give you a bit more. A progressive like a Dillon or Hornady or RCBS will give you a lot more speed. Are you looking for higher precision loading? Look at the Forster Co-ax press, which also lets you change dies quickly. Are you just after more rigidity, then the good old Rock Chucker or any of several high price super-precision presses are available if you have the money for them?

Bottom line: More information needed.

Back