Thinking about getting the G-20c

Metal god

Hello all , I'm not here in this sub forum very often but had a question .

I've been looking at the G-20sf for a very long time . FWIW I'm in CA and we only can have gen 3 Glocks . I don't own any Glocks because of that reason . I have large fat fingers and the finger things ( haha) on the grip do not line up with my fingers .... I mean NOT AT ALL ! very uncomfortable to hold , I could just imagen what a it would feel like shooting it .

That said I want a 10mm semi auto and Glock is the only choice here in CA . Well I can get a 1911 10mm but I don't really want that . Anyways I'll just sand/grind the things down .

Ok so now the question , I just noticed they make a G-20c ( compensated ) version :cool: I think :confused: It sounds kinda cool but it's $100 more then the SF $579 vs $675 . Is it even worth the extra cost ? What little research I've done seems to say the comp works but you better never need to shoot it without ear protection . That could actually be a problem . I have family in Montana and we camp . There is a possibility in a moments notice that firearm could be called upon to defend the camp or other . That would not only be bad for me ( noise wise ) but anyone close by to include kids .

So there's my dilemma, guns are loud do I want an even louder one ? If so does the comp help felt recoil enough to pay the extra $100-ish ?

Thanks
MG

I’m not macho when it comes to recoil, and I don’t think the regular G20 is bad when it comes to that. Have you shot one?

I don’t think a comp is needed.

I have a Glock 21c. Never found the port to be of much use, so I got a good aftermarket rifled barrel for it. I ground down the finger groves in the front and chopped the grip so that I can use Glock 30 ten round mags in it. Still very bulky to try and conceal. Thought about converting it to 10mm as I live in the woods, but haven't gone that route yet as I can shoot .45 super in the present setup.
You could look for a gen 3 SF and it might be more comfortable, but I would never pay extra just get the compensated model.
I've also owned 2 Glock 20's and a Glock 29 that I had on my permit and none of them were too much to handle even with Buffalo Bore loads.

Yeah the 20sf likely the way I’ll go . I like brakes and comps on my rifles so I thought a comp on a pistol would be good . I really don’t want to spend the extra cash though .

comp v. ported

Glock's "compensator" is really just a ported barrel. I would not pay $100 extra for that feature alone. For just a bit more money, you could buy a 6" aftermarket barrel to drop in your G20 when pulling woods duty. That will add velocity, perhaps as much as 50 fps or more to any load.

I am not qualified on 10mm but I did look at a G21SF vs G21 and the difference was slight. A SF with the finger bumps sanded down would probably fit me best.

That's a HARD no on the compensator.

Bad choice.

And most people think the .45 ACP is a much better choice than a 10mm.

Research it.......you may agree.

better choice?

"......and most people think the .45 acp is a better choice..."
Really? Better choice for what and why? Guess I'm not most people.

I might agree had the OP not mentioned Montana and "camp defense". Due the locale mentioned, makes me think from both two AND four legged threats. Perhaps I read too much into the statement. But... the G20/10mm has a large following in that department.

While a hot .45acp is certainly no slouch, (and I like .45acp) an all up hot 10mm round is more. Unless the OP doesn't want "more". If purely used as a SD against human threats, yes, I'd say the .45acp if a big bore is desired. Add furry threats to the equation and all up boutique 10mm is superior. For urban/suburban carry, domestic 10mm is seldom loaded to potential and is often little more than .40 S&W, which will likely suffice for SD human threats.

Bama is right , this would be for camp defense namely bear and other . Then range fun , I reload so ammo cost not as much of an issue although this would be a new caliber for me . Its the one thing Im not looking forward to . I’ve considered the 357sig in the past because it takes a 9mm bullet which would mean all I need is dies and brass . Some pumped up 147gr hard cast or even FMJ’s from a 357sig would get pretty good penetration but 10mm is still the way to go I think .

G20

Realize that the G20/21 family are indeed big pistols. Not a negative necessarily just a fact. For most folks they do not conceal easily except with a generous cover garment. Afield of course, that is not an issue, and I use a chest rig or a military flap holster. I like the simple Glock sport/slide holster too, using one to fashion my home made chest rig, or OWB carried as intended with a lanyard if I wander off without the woods holsters. They are cheap and functional. The simple Glock holster allows the use of the 6" barrel as well with no issues, I 've fashioned a lanyard from a length of paracord and a simple dog snap when I tote my G20 to the woods OWB. The snap fits into the hole on the butt of the pistol, insuring it goes where I go all the time. My G20 is set up with the a 6" bbl these days and a dot sight as a hunting pistol for whitetails.

It ain't hard to use a Dremel tool and grind the finger grooves down flat to look like a Gen 5 Glock. I've done a couple and like the results. You can't hurt the looks of a Glock so this is an easy DIY project.

In an emergency you can shoot 40 S&W in a Glock 10mm. They feed just fine, accuracy and POI never changed for me. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis but it's nice to know you can do it with no mods and even use the same magazines if you have to. I've always been able to find 10mm ammo priced about the same as 40.

If you're talking about using it for large predator defense, I trust the 10mm round with some of the heavy (200-220 gr) hardcast bullets more than the others.

But I've seen enough to say the 255 gr hardcast 45 ACP loads and even the 147 gr 9mm loads are probably acceptable. Phil Shoemaker used the 9mm load to kill an 800-900 lb brown bear a few years back that attacked some fishermen he was guiding. He had spent quite a bit of time testing that load and found it gave the same penetration as a 180 gr 357 magnum.

But I've seen enough to say the 255 gr hardcast 45 ACP loads and even the 147 gr 9mm loads are probably acceptable. Phil Shoemaker used the 9mm load to kill an 800-900 lb brown bear a few years back that attacked some fishermen he was guiding. He had spent quite a bit of time testing that load and found it gave the same penetration as a 180 gr 357 magnum

I saw that video , good to know but even he said thats not what he will carry daily up there . That was one of the reasons I seriously considered a 357sig . Its still possible but not likely .

Back