thinking about getting a trail cam

BerdanSS

Can someone recommend me a decent one for $200 or less? Maybe a couple pointers of what to look for in one. Ive never used one before.

Go here:

http://game-camera-review.toptenreviews.com/

And other review sights.

Look for:
-Distance at which it detects movement
-Fast trigger time (no delay)
-Wide detection range left to right
-Night / infrared capability
-Miscell features, including video capability, if you want that.
-User friendliness of controls
-Warranty
-Cost of cards (and does a card come WITH the camera or not? Usually it does not)

The resolution (# of megapixels), though the most prominently-marketed feature, is relatively unimportant.

Generally, Reconix is tops, then Cuddeback, but there's some gems in the lower price ranges too. At least, that was the deal 3 years back.

I've dealt with these people on several game cam's & they have good prices & you can talk to a real person. They answer the phone & tell you the truth about what does what. They do all their own testing & strictly specialize in game cameras. Check them out.

Code:
http://www.trailcampro.com/

Good luck!

...bug :)

I've been using trail cameras for years now and have owned many, many different models. The truth is that very few of them are really any good and have a short life span. Reconyx and Buckeye are very good and will last years. They're made in the US. All the others are Chinese and made with very poor quality control and material. I have yet to see any with plated connectors. Right now the ones I'm having fairly good luck with and take good pictures with lots of good features are the new Cuddeback E3 black flash and two of the new Browning cameras, both infrared also. Any of the Brownings and the Cuddeback are under two hundred bucks or less and are what I'd consider the better choices. They are around one fifty to two hundred. Check out Trailcampro and Chasingame websites for reviews also.

I have 2 different models of Wildgame Innovations cameras.

Both take 4 C batteries, have 45' range, and take pictures at night too.

One has round holes for mounting to a tree, and all the controls are internal.
Here in Central PA this is desirable due to the large number of not so friendly people out in the woods.

The second one I just got has rectangular slots to mount the camera, and the freak'n power button is on the front of the camera. I'm foreseeing someone coming along, and turning it off.

Also, they don't take enough pictures, fast enough.

Trigger time is 30 seconds at it's fastest setting. If set up by a field, where you are trying to pinpoint which way the deer are coming from, you get pics of deer in the field, facing all different directions.

They both take wonderful pictures of the black bears in the area though.

And yes, the reason I got these camera's was their price.
The "better" one with the controls internal was $49.99.
The second one was on sale at Dick's for $39.99

I just can't afford to buy 1 or 2 $200 game camera's.

I've used a Bushnell X-8 for the past year and a half and I'm real happy with it. Nice images both day and night. Batteries lasted about 13 months.

I have a Browning spec ops that I'm selling if you're interested. Has the night flash, video, all that cool stuff. Great cameras but I'm switching over to ones that can be checked remotely via cellular signal.

After responding to this post earlier, I went out today and got another Cuddeback E3 Black Flash. They are a good camera for the money! I had thirty bucks in Dick's coupons and didn't know what to use them for so......another camera.

Nosecondbest has the correct info, if you have multiple cameras that stay out in the boonies permananely.....the Chinese crap will have very short lifespans and the distributors of Chinese junk will not warranty their product. Occasionally one will last six months but don't bet on it.

Ran a Moultrie IR 50 for a few years. It finally died in the Oregon rain,
got some water inside.

Running 3 Bushnells now. OK IR cameras, not the fastest shutter or
best picture quality but good enough. One is an X, the other 2 not sure.

Got a "good deal" on a couple of Wildgame Innovation cameras on
Amazon. Battery sucking junk. Neither lasted 2 weeks.

Go here for reviews of current and past models:

http://www.chasingame.com/

I don't use a camera. All I have to do is ask my neighbors what they've seen in my fields. :cool: Those local fellows are aware of everything. No doubt about that._:D
But staying on point about cameras.
I would think the longevity of any camera is based on its weather environment. A brand of camera that works well down in New Mexico may not do as well up in Michigan. That subject mater (above) you may want to talk over with someone behind the counter who can offer some guidance in your purchase. When it comes to camera's. You want to be as informed as possible as the camera needs to last more than simply one day beyond its warranty period. Especially when 100.00 ($$$) or more is spent on one.

I have a Moultrie M-100 that is really good. Not a single complaint about it. I know some friends running Moultrie 880s and they have nothing but good things to say about them...as long as you set them up correctly, facing North/South and not East/West, but that goes for any camera. East/West will end up giving you some blank pictures.

I've got 4 Moultries of various ages. The older ones must be about 5 years old. The newest is a Moultrie 990, and it's pretty darn good. They live in the rain and dust and cold and heat of central Texas and I haven't lost one yet to its just plain dying. Wait...that's not true. I did have a Moultrie die and when I complained to Moultrie, they sent me another one for free.

Had a Bushnell that was 3 feet up a tree trunk when 4 feet of water came down the draw. That one was a loss. Had a Moultrie (recent model, built like the 990) that managed to go underwater due to my thinking that no way the water would ever get that deep. I was gonna throw it away till somebody (on this forum, I think) said to dry it out and see if it would work. I dried it and it did work till I miscalculated a bit with the tractor bucket. That's why I have the 990.

So anyway, I'm happy with the Moultrie cameras.

Back