Thinking about casting

Roland Thunder

I have been reloading for a while now. I have a Dillon 550b and I usually purchase lead or plated bullets on-line. I am thinking about starting to cast my own bullets or at least preparing for the day when that's the only way I can afford to shoot (I am about to re-tire). I watched a video by someone that recommended that beginners start with a furnace that you have to dip the molten lead out. However, the furnaces that have a spout on them look more appealing to me, like the Lee Pro 420. Any reason why the Lee Pro 420 would not be suitable for a novice caster or would it better to with a furnace that you have to dip the molten lead out.

I agree, use a bottom pour, it's much easier and quicker. My Lee drips some of I am not religious about cleaning the spout, so you may be better served using a different brand. It's serviceable though.

Casting is a whole other hobby onto itself. It can be time and money consuming but you'll be independent of factory and storebought bullets when everyone else is crying about shortages. The trick is finding Wheelweights or other suitable lead sources. WW are getting scarce so I may switch to pure lead and powdercoating.

I've had (and still have) both dip and bottom-pour pots: Two Waage 20# dip furnaces (1:30 and Lyman #2),
a 20# RCBS ProMelt/bottom pour (pure lead), and a #10 Lee bottom-pour (for experimantal alloys).

Over the years I've deliberately plugged up and/or wired shut both the bottom pours -- going exclusive to
dippers for all four pots. `Provides exceptionally uniform results and saved a lot of maintenance hastle.

everyone has their own favorite methods. but bottom-pour for me, mainly because I can put it up high and not have to bend over 600 times during a pour. if your are not trying to cast a ton f bullets, probably could go either way, but ladling just isn't for me

I have been casting since the '60's. I started out dipping from an iron plumbers pot on top of a gas stove. Went to electric post years ago. Briefly tried bottom pours, never liked them...too much trouble with always tending the valve to keep it from leaking, went back to dipping...even when manipulating two, six cavity molds in casting sessions. I have no interest in ever going back to bottom pour. Admittedly, it may have been because I got so good at dipping ( a whole lot of practice), that I prefer to dip. Or, that due to my production work at one stage of my life that I studied efficiency of movement, and got so good at it (I could produce so many bullets, so fast) that I am unwilling spend time to go back to adapting to bottom pour.

I figure about the time I start casting and spend a bunch of money on equipment, along will come a shortage of lead wheel weights.

It seems like I am always a day late and a dollar short.

Last edited:
Already is a shortage of lead wheel weights. About half are not lead anymore. It will take some time before they are all gone, but other sources of lead exist.

Recently there was another thread about casting here:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555517&highlight=allow

Another source of lead that's no longer available (but will certainly ring a bell with old timers) was linotype.

You'd think with lead NOT being used for linotype, not being used much in plumbing and not so much on wheel weights or shot guns for water foul that there would be lots more for reloading (and cheap)...doesn't seem to be that way.

I don't have an issue with wheelweights yet. there is still a lot of small tire shops around here that'll sell them to me around here. most places will want about 40$ for a full bucket, which will generally yield me about 80# after tossing the zinc and melting to ingots. I also have a really nice small shop that just gives me the weights, I stl toss him a 20 for it, but they are small and only get me a bucket about every 3 months. but that's been enough to keep me going as I stocked up pretty good at first. just get out there and look around, you may be surprised how easy it is. I also found a couple hundred pounds of roof flashing(pure lead) at a recycling center for 40c a #

you also don't need to spend very much on casting equipment. my lee pot was 60 bucks and molds are 20$ a piece for cheap ones that still work just fine. pays for itself in about an hour. I use a Walmart stove side burner thingy for ingots which was 20 bucks I think.

Lead availablity

Before spending a bunch of money on casting equipment I decided to go around to the tire stores and get an idea how easy it would be locate wheel weights when I need them. Every store I went to told me the same thing, which is "we are not allowed to give out wheel weights to anyone, we have a recycling company that comes around and picks them up". One guy expalined to me that the EPA requires them to keep records of who picked up the weights, the date and how many pounds. He said they come around to the shop for audits and if they are not in compliance can get fined. I live in a large metropolitan area (Atlanta) so there are not many mom and pop stores around.

So, I guess I better find another source of lead or be content to buy bullets instead of casting them.

Get the LEE 20 pound bottom pour. Its cheap enough and if it turns out you like casting. You would end up getting the 20 ponder any way.

If it turns out its not for you.
Sell it for $10 less than you paid on Ebay.

Cost you 10 bucks to find out.

Dont worry about finding Free lead. If you do, Its a bonus.
Even if you buy lead. ( as I do)
It is still cheaper reloading by leaps and bounds compared to ready made.

As long as you have lead, Mold and pot. You always have what ever bullet you need when you need it.

If you have to buy lead. try Ebay or Castboolits. I usually try to hit around a buck a pound for range scrap lead. little more for WW and a little more for harder alloys. Most likely you pay shipping but 65# fit a med flat rate box for about $16. Thank God for Flat rate boxes.

Lets do the math. Lets say you pay $70 shipped for 60# of lead.

7000x60= 420,000 grains. 420,000 / 158gr bullet.= 2658 bullets.
$70 / 2658= 0.026 per bullet.
Or $13 for a box of 500 that you would pay $40+ for online.

Last edited:
I love my 4-20 pots. No drips, not runs, no errors.
Fast and accurate. I have a side/botttom pour CI ladle but rarely ever use it. Too slow and messy.

Do not be afraid to just get out thre and to it. Nice thing, lead remelts! If you screw up, just toss 'em back in and try again. Preheat your molds TO CASTING TEMP on an electric hotplate to get darn near perfect drops from the 1st one. Also preheat your feed ingots to reduce recharge cycle time.

Welcome to the madness. Lead and molds....molds and lead....which do I buy next!

Back