Thinking about buying a remington 770... Opinions?

Weaver

Inactive
Im seriously considering buying a new Remington 770 in 30-06. Ive read many reviews, some good and some bad... I was hoping i could get some opinions or advice from some folks with first hand experience with these guns. Any help is appreciated.

I have one. The factory installed scope was crap and I replaced it with a Barska scope that was about $60-65. I hunt two days a year and shoot it a little more often so it's good for that level of service. For the price point, it does what it's supposed to do accurately enough for me to be happy with it.

The ADL is 10x the rifle the 770 could ever dream to be.

Go feel the action on a 770... they are garbage, not to mention the hollow stock. It will kill a deer sure... but for the same money or the $50 difference I would go with the 700ADL.

Either one of those would be great.. but im on a pretty tight budget. Thats why i was looking at the 770, walmart here has them for $297

I won't disagree that both are (probably) better rifles but my 770 went out the door under $300 (new) after tax. Add my $60 scope upgrade and it's still less than any of these.

the resale on them is really bad. You can get a used 770 for cheap. They shoot well but are basically a disposable rifle.

OK for a once a year deer rifle. But as others are saying there are some better deals out there for the money. Look at the stevens 200.

I was in the same boat as you, I went ahead and got the 770 (also in .30-06) and I'm glad I did. It puts rounds down range almost as accurate as a basic 700 at half the price. It's a great practice rifle, and it cycles alright after running 40-50 rounds through it and oiling it.

Had a chance at a 770 at the Baker Gun Range...rented it, decided that a Marlin XL-7 in .30-06 was for me.

For $299 the Marlin was more precise, and was NIB, factory adjustable trigger, factory recoil pad, & more...where the 770 was used...

(more of the same)

I would not for a single minute recommend a 770.

Cabelas and Sportsman's warehouse both still carry the Remington ADL - which gives you 10 times the quality for just $100 more.

My local FFL convinced me not to go that direction - and I'm darn glad.
- better rifle (durability, etc)
- better trade-in value (he won't accept a 770 for trade)

If price is the big problem - try an old Savage. You can pick them up for cheap, and they shoot straighter than anything in their price bracket.

I as well wouldn't recommend the 770 to anyone. If you can get a Stevens 200, Marlin XS7/XL7 (I think they are now just called X7). If you can spend a little more then you cant go wrong with a Howa 1500 or Weatherby Vanguard and if you can afford to spend a little more then get a Tikka T3 (IMHO the Tikka T3 is the best value factory production rifle on the market and compared to other rifles in that price point the Tikka wins out as it has a great Trigger, Stock, Barrel, Fit and Finish ect ie: no need to upgrade any of it). The Tikka also has probably the best accuracy guarantee of any rifle on the market.

Don't. Just don't.

You can get a Savage Axis or a Marlin XL7 for a similar price and both are far superior to the 770, which is the poorest excuse for a rifle I've ever seen.

If your budget is so low that you can only buy a 770 I'd say do without a gun. I can't think of any gun on the used market that I WOULD NOT choose over a 770 and that includes a milsurp. And I don't like milsurps!.

In short, if you are truely stuck on a budget that low go used or go home.

LK

As others have said, the 700 ADL makes the 770 pretty pointless. We've had a 700 ADL (in .243) for about 20 years that has been a superb rifle. Very accurate, very well-made, and very reliable. I one dropped it out of a high (25 ft+) deer stand - no damage whatsover. I doubt you could say that for a 770.

People blast this rifle , I think the earlier verisons of it had problems with a sticky or tight bolt. But I those problems have been solved.

Shooting Times, magazine did a review on it and a few other budget .308 rifles (like the Savage AXIS). Compared and did test and the 770 hedl it's own. I think the negative things about this rifle have been ironed out and can be a great shooter. I am going to change the scope of mine to one that is alittle bit more powerful to fully take atvantage of the .308 but besides that I think it is gtg.

I have a friend that bought one in .30-06 a few years back. He shoots occasionally and hunts occasionally. He has 3 small children and bought what he thought was the best rifle for the money. He has been happy so far. I have held the rifle but not shot it. I didn't care for it myself as most Remington stocks don't fit me well, but it suits him and that's what really matters.

Back