Thinking about a NEW 30-30

PatientWolf

Lately I've been thinking about getting a new 30-30. For specific reasons, I want to go with a new one This time. I handled a Henry HOO9 and a couple Marlin 336s at the local Cabela's and my impression was that the Henry had a MUCH smoother lever and a MUCH better trigger. I may also consider the Rossi Rio Grande SS, which they did not have.

Does anybody have any experience with the Rio Grand they can share as far as smoothness of the action and the trigger?

Any other thoughts or comments?

I have a Henry big boy 41 mag and personally feel it doesn't compare to my rossi 44 mag carbine--the action is clunkier, trigger stiffer and above all accuracy is worse. But it is far prettier. I know the majority of lever guys probably feel the opposite, but that's been my experience.

On the choice of new marlin or new Henry I would go with a Henry. And they don't have quality issues like the Marlins that are slowly getting better in quality.

But if it were between a new Henry or older quality made Marlin in like new condition I would get the Marlin. I've shot the old Marlin 336's in 30-30 and 444 and new Henry in 30-30.

Find an older Marlin Texan 30/30. You can't go wrong with 'em.

Course I'm biased. I got my first 5 deer with just that kind of Marlin.

Even got one now!

Deaf

While I agree that an older Marlin would be my first choice, as I said, this one will be a new one. I received some gift cards for Walmart and believe I can can special order any of the guns mentioned-so new it must be. Another I may consider would be a 336BL. The standard 336W they stock really doesn't interest me.

I could jump up to a 45-70, but have never fired one and am not sure how much I'd like it (although as long as it goes bang, I'd probably enjoy it to be honest). Although I love the idea of it, I'm not sure I'd ever have the chance to elk hunt, so 30-30 would probably be adequate for anything I'd pursue.

Last edited:
When the 30-30 was introduced it was considered more powerful and a much better choice for elk than the 45-70. And if the 45-70 is loaded with traditional ammo it is. With hotter modern loads a 45-70 is a different cartridge, with different recoil levels. From such a light rifle it approaches 458 mag recoil.

I've handled some of the offerings made by Henry and Rossi. The Henry 22's are OK, but I can't warm up to any of the others in center fire cartridges. Between Marlin and Winchester there are roughly 14 million used 30-30's out there. That is where I'd be looking.

I understand not wanting Marlins budget 336W offered at Walmart. But they also have the much nicer 336C as a special order item if you just have to buy new.

Between the two I'd have to go with the Marlin even tho it has the lawyered safety. The Henry is thicker and about a pound and a half heavier than the Marlin

45-70 can be a bit more pricey ammo wise but it's a hoot to shoot. Reloading would be a nice cheaper option.

I'm trying to think what it might compare to and i'm thinking it's close to shooting a 20 gauge.

I have had 2 of the Rossi Rio Grande's. They're pretty good weapons if your handy with a little home 'smithing .They both required internal finishing of critical parts to make run right. Not knocking them, just be aware. The internal parts are generally rough.

They're pretty good weapons if your handy with a little home 'smithing .They both required internal finishing of critical parts to make run right. Not knocking them, just be aware. The internal parts are generally rough.
True this^^^^

But they can be made into fine shooters. You might want to hang out at the rossi rifleman forum for a bit to see what they have to say. http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/index.php?sid=4dcbb4b029258f362bbcb2ef592d6555

The biggest advantage: you can get two rossi's for the price of one Henry.

How about the new winchester? Not cheap, but; a quality gun. I never been disappointed with a Miruko made fire arm and I have quite a few.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...inline-catalog-production/94-short-rifle.html

The 94 is lighter than either Marlin or Henry and now can accept a top mounted scope? The 94 was always a very smooth cycling gun. If the Op had not insisted on a NEW gun, I would highly recommend an iron sighted pre side eject, used, model 94. The old Marlin is was a nice scoped gun and very effective in 35 rem, but the Op wants new and 30/30.

I have to assume the "new gun" is for the sake of interesting conversation, because when it comes to 30/30 the market is a wash in excellent used 30/30 in both Winchester and Marlin. I should say a flood more than awash!

If I was forced to buy new for some unknown reason, then I would be looking for better quality or features and the might be Miruko. I like a tang safety better than a side button. I prefer neither, but given a choice, tang is less offensive. Aperture sight can still be receiver mounted.

Last edited:
Update.

Here's my current progress

Rossi Rio Grande: It appears this may be out of production. In any case I can't find one locally to even look at.

Winchester: I checked and I cannot order Winchester, so that's a no-go.

Henry: I will probably not go this route. Though very smooth with a very nice trigger, in real searching I found there may be an issue when carrying where if the lever opens a little, the next round can move requiring a full cycle before firing. Also with the tube loading, if I do a little range time, I don't like the idea that to load I'll probably be touching a pretty hot barrel.

Marlin: I went back to where I could handle a couple different models. I'm about 95% certain I'll be ordering a 336BL.

There are two Henry 30-30s. The brass frame job is the heavy one. The blued steel and walnut one is in the 7-lb range. It loads through a port in the magazine tube, which is atypical, but works. The one I have is finely finished and has one of the best pieces of American walnut I have ever seen on a production rifle. It is also very accurate. You might get some info from the following, which has shooting results:

http://ataleoftwothirties.com/?p=1289

Last edited:
Mind you, this was four or so years ago, but recall a range member showed up with a Rossi lever rifle in 44 Mag to shoot. It was a nice looking rifle. He shot around 30 rounds each of 44 mag and 44 special in his rifle.

About every ten round or so, he'd have to slide the cartridge tube, under the barrel, back and re-tighten it down. No problems feeding the 44 mag cartridges, but a problem with the 44 special, which were suppose to work OK. Like I said, been a number of years ago, but I do recall, all things considered, it shot decently for accuracy.

I understand wanting to use your walmart gift cards. But the new 30-30 marlin I looked at at Academy looked like crap with its thick matt finish.

I would use the gift cards to buy a good Leupold 2x7 scope. I would buy an assortment of ammo. A gun case or other stuff to go with it. Maybe a sling.

Then I would find an older JM marked marlin and go with that. I think you will end up with a better gun. And don't let people tell you a scope is wrong on a lever gun. It is not. You can only shoot as well as you can see. Want to extend the range of a 30-30? You don't need that gimmick ammo from Hornady. Add a scope and 300 yard shots are possible with the 30WCF round. I know this because I have done it. But I couldn't have made those shots without a scope.

A 30-30 is a good choice. I could have killed every deer and elk I have killed with a 30-30. I am too old to make anymore elk hunts. My marlin or winchester 30-30 will kill all the whitetail deer I will ever kill for the balance of my life. They would be the last deer rifles I would sell.

PatientWolf

I would save the gift cards for ammo or fishing tackle and seriously look for a good used Marlin 336.

Go to a few local gun shows and try out your negotiating skills. I haven't been to a recent show that hasn't had a variety of them for sale.

If'n you want a new one, I can vouch that the Henry H009 is a humdinger and a damn good shooter.

I also have the 45-70 H010 and like them both equally.

I haven't tried a Mossberg 464 as yet. I have handled it but not shot it.

Mossberg even offers the 464 SPX which is a lever gun designed as a tactical.

My nephew hunts in Maryland with his Mossberg 30-30 carbine. Its a sweet handling carbine that shoots an honest 2 inch group at 100 yards with any brand of ammo. He has the model with a curved lever and pistol grip stock; it wears a Redfield 2-7X scope. This 30-30 is a keeper!

Jack

Back