Thinkin' of gettin' a S&W PERFORMANCE CENTER PRO SERIES MODEL 60

jski

Anyone own one of these beasties? Seems like an ideal carry .357.

A stainless steel, .357 version of the Model 36 Chief’s Special. What's not to like?

Opinions?

I have a Smith M60 38spl made in 1983... I wouldn't mind having a more powerful sibling. It carries well and will last forever!
904e6b9d559915d6d9f9e6c2c3c1d036.jpg

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

I've owned a Smith Model 640-1 since I bought it new in 1996. Loaded with +P .38 Special rounds and fitted with Herretts "Shooting Ace" stocks, it's my wife's bedside piece. However, all steel J-frame snubbies are a mite heavy to my taste for all day carry-concealed duty in places I generally frequent. That said, in the wrong part of town my favorite carry pistol is a SIG Model 227.

Either the 640 or the 640-1 will do fine.

I have them both.

attachment.php

The 640 (.38 spl. on the left) was my first carry gun when CHL came to Texas.

Now days my 'light' gun is a 642 or Glock 43 9mm depending on circumstances.

Deaf

Now admittedly I'll rarely use .357s at the range BUT I'd certainly like the option of using them in self defense. So the question is does this pup offer good performance with that choice?

Sometimes I wonder if .357 and carry are conflicting choices?

I have a Standard Model 60 3" barrel with adjustable sights.(similar to the Pro) I bought it for a trail or kit gun. I like it a lot. I carry it in a Simply Rugged Pancake .Hardly notice it is there.

Very accurate with 38 and and shoot all day. Full house 357 also accurate but they sure get your attention. Not uncontrollable but sting your hand a little.

Mostly carried with 38 but when in black bear country will load 357. Not my EDC but would not hesitate to use it in that role.

I say go for it you won't be disappointed.

Take a look and feel of Herrett's "Shooting Ace" grips (if they're still around :()> Best stocks I've ever used on J-frame revolvers.

My 60. Altamont Grips.(edit sorry for the tiny photo. Have more trouble posting photos on this site)

Attachments

• m 60 003.JPG
    m 60 003.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 48

I have a 640 pro, it wears similar Altamont grips that Lunger posted.
I love the sights, the fact it is cut for moon clips is nice (although I don't use them )
Heavy enough that it handles medium powered 357 loads well.
It's my EDC in the summer, great lil 357!

Last edited:
Yes, I have one. Very accurate. Nice action. Leads badly without well defined cut rifling. Plan on plated if reloading. Removed the ILS and plugged it. Sights don't glow much in the dark. It does okay if I use reloads that are pretty light. I only shoot loads with 357 brass. My older 60-10 is the one I prefer.

I believe it is ECM rifling. Of the newer guns, only my 625PC has cut rifling. If you are going to load 357 cases for it with lead bullets, I would use mild loads and softer bullets normally specified for 38 Special. Extra lube or coating would help. Mine are rated at 12. The pronounced leading I experienced was with the harder 18s, which you should expect would easily bridge the rifling profile and allow hot gases to surround the bullet.

It's not a deal breaker. Just know what you are working with. My 686-6 and 625 JM are the same way...generally unacceptable with bare lead, even with throats reamed and forcing cones recut. Castboolit fellas tell me how wrong I am, but that's not helpful. I don't cast my own. My 625JM was replaced with a 625PC because Jerry Miculek wanted to switch to lead bullets and asked for cut rifling. It's so obvious how problematic ECM rifling can be.

This smaller 60 Pro in the hands of a reloader is a perfect opportunity to use X-treme's plated bullets with their crimp grooves. To use 357 brass just stay somewhere between 38+p and 357 Mag minimum.

I own both the S&W 629 and 626 +1 Performance center and they are very good looking and shooting guns. From now on I only buy the PC guns. The grips are gorgeous but I replace them with Hogue Rubber grips for shooting. When I display them, I put the wooden grips on but not too frequently.

I understand that guns are tools, but they can also be a good looking tool that illicites pride of ownership. I find that I enjoy a gun more when it is good looking. I do carry plain black polymer guns but the rest of them are nice looking examples of whatever type of gun they are.

The Pro 60 in .357 looks like a nice piece. my only J-frame .357 is a 60-10 3" bbl. It is not exactly fun to shoot. But, it is not exactly a range toy either.

In lieu of the Model 60 Pro, I went for the 7-shot 686:
9843bfc27dbf6da78781b5a58d058526.jpg

Same 3" barrel. I became concerned about how well the 23 1/2 oz Model 60 could/would handle .357 loads.

BTW, I must admit, I really like the unfluted cylinder. I like unfluted cylinders on the Freedom Arms single action revolvers.

Back