Think I'll get a Swedish Mauser - comments welcomed

Futo Inu

The ad says they're going, going, soon gone. They have the M38 short Swedish-manuf. 6.5x55 mausers for $149 I think in "very good" condition, more for select. 23" bbl. I've heard nothing but good things. Seems to be a great all-purpose rifle. Is this M38 as good as the 29" bbl M96? Are they really running out? Has anyone modified a bolt handle on one of these so that it's turned-down? Do they feed with stripper clips? And finally, would you recommend a composite sporter stock or just keep the original? Thanks in advance.

You won't be sorry. I have an M38. I turned my bolt down, but I had a rig and a torch to do it. Brownell's lists a peep replacement for the rear battle sight. You should probably get either a thread protection collar or a surplus flash hider for the threads on the muzzle.

Mauser triggers are fairly easy to smooth up and you can also get a drop in Timney. The cartridge is a rocket, but it is not in the .470-.473 (.30-'06) family of cartridge case head diameters. It's head diameter is a little larger.

Most of the chambers are long throated, but that is common in military rifles. They are a piece of work and I like mine. 'Never shot the M96.

I am not aware of stripper clips. I would keep the original stock. Mine's beautiful.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited April 21, 2000).]

You will probably like it if you like finely made rifles.
M38 is the handiest and latest made, what with the shorter barrel and turned down bolt.
I like the long barreled M96 made before 1914 because of the nice walnut stocks. The Swedes switched to beech after WWI started, due to shortages, and stuck with it after that date. But it is harder to find one of these with a good barrel, in my experience.
The straight Swedish stock comes up to my eye like it was made just for me, but the grip is more akward than the later Mauser pistol grip.
Sights on the M96 are usually of the old 300m closest setting and shoot too high at 100 yards. Later M38 should have sights that go to 100m.
I don't have an M38 yet. I have an M96/M38, an older M96 that was cut down, the bolt left straight and the old 300m sightts retained. It doesn't actually have the advantage of either model.
Beware, if you get into these Swedes, you eventually want to get all the variations. They are addictive. So it might not make much difference what you first one is.
As for the add, they have been saying this for a couple of years now. No doubt they will eventually run out, but who knows for sure when that will be?

I have to agree with what everyone has said here...excellent craftsmanship and the one's Ive had the three variations mentioned and they were all more than adequate.......unless you just like unusually long rifles, got with the shorter version....If you check the threads using the search feature, I believe there is a thread discussing the disc you'll see in the stock, that disc concerns the condition of the rifle, throat erosion, etc., the last time the arsenal looked at it..the roughest of the three types was the turned bolt model and Im refering to finish, it was still better then adequate. There arre stripper clips for these rifles and there are caps to protect the threads on the rifles that are threaded and there are flash hiders but I think they are after market, Im not sure but I dont believe the threads were originally for that........drawing a blank on this......there worth the price....fubsy.

The threaded barrel was 1st developed so that a screw-on blank firing adaptor could be used. This looked like a cage, or a flash hider, but it was closed at the end. There was a wooden bullet loaded over the powder that would be shattered into smithereens when it hit the end of the closed blank adaptor ... just remove before firing ball ammo!

I think you will have a hard time finding somebody that has fired on of these and not enjoyed it or been impressed by it.

I have a cut down sportered M96 and use it for groundhogs, wolf, deer, and a bush stand gun for moose.

If you are not sure about the 6.5x55mm round, get some ballistic charts, you will not be disappointed.

------------------
Be Safe, Be Trained

Life is tough...it's alot tougher if you don't know how to shoot.

Back