think I am getting a bug for a SKS?

jal5

Here's my idea-
I know I cannot afford an AR or AK anytime soon and if the Obama ban comes on us soon I will be out of luck. What about a SKS instead? More in my price range. But what are the pros and cons? I shot a friend's Yugo I think it was last year and enjoyed it. Would use it for target, maybe coyote, but mainly just to have, just in case type of gun.

Any feedback? thanks.
Joe

I bought one for less than 300 last weekend - chinese, looks new with a folding stock. Ammo and accessories are cheap, pretty accurate, hardly kicks compared to what I usually shoot (Mosin and Mauser). Just like an AK it will last forever!

SKS

I don't know about the rest of the crowd but I love mine. At 50 yards I can play he!! with a tin can and make it dance something feirce:D I've got a 40 mm red dot on mine with a dragonov style stock :eek:(it's how I bought it). I use the stripper clips as I have heard too many bad things about the aftremarket magazines for them. It is my play toy. :D It is my spot and stalk weapon for close range work.

You'll be happy with an SKS. I have one AR and one AK. I have FOUR SKS's. They are plenty acurrate enough for deer hunting, home defense, plinking and coyotes. It is a battle tested design that will out last any you and can be handed down to your grandkids.

I shot one of those at my local outdoor range a few weeks ago. some dudes I met were taking a shine to my Mausers, and they were kind enough to let me try their SKS. :cool:

I was very impressed. nice action, accurrate with iron sights. I liked it alot. it was a real Soviet one from 1954 with matching serial numbers, etc. I was very jealous! ;)

Last edited:
Thanks guys, i thought they had good reviews.

Wrothgar, at that price I would have grabbed on too, hopefully I can find a good deal somewhere locally in Ohio.

Joe

I have had two SKS, a Yugo and a norinco paratrooper. I still have the norinco and will never sell it. It's reliable, resonably accurate, and fun to shoot.

I have a Russian and a Yugo SKS, both are great. I think you'll find the Yugo the most affordable SKS on the market right now and they shoot great, plus include the grenade launcher.

For an affordable ar, check out www.del-ton.com I don't know much about them but most of what I have read has been decent. If anyone knows anything about these guns fill me in, I am thinking about ordering one of their 20" uppers.

I have a Norinco SKS and love shooting it. I consider the SKS the conservative brother of the AK, nothing flashy but gets the job done :). I would like to get another one but can't get over how high the prices have jumped. Of course I bought mine before any gun ban was thought of for $75.00 and you could buy 1,200-1,500 round cases of ammo for $80.00...ahh the good old days.

I've had a Norinco sks for years and love it. Mine is reliable, accurate and a blast to shoot. I considered changing it over to accept detachable mags but decided I like the stripper clips better, I would like to get a good stock for it though. I'll never get rid of my sks and would like to have another, or two,or three. :D

Regarding the question about del-ton. I have one and I love it, has all the features that it should, fully shrouded firing pin, stuff like that. My dad has two, they are great as well.

They are severely backlogged now but when I ordered my upper kit last sept. It arrived very quickly.

I got mine (a Chinese SKS),50 9mm rounds, a box of 30 cal carbine ammo and 50 round or Remington 7.62 for $115 last month. I am thinking about trading it and $200 to boot for a galie

Last edited:
an old man who owned a junk store found it in a storage unit and he thought he had got more than it was worth:p. now my brother has a chinise carbine he got when he was 13 (4 years ago I guess) for about $100 (thought we overpaid)and my dads yugo with everything ran him $130 2 years ago

mine is the one with wood
ChiniseSKS.jpg

here is the yugo and my pristine Mosian
YugoSKSandmosiannagant.jpg

The SKS carbine is sweet to use up close because it can easily be controlled with one hand but I still prefer my MAS

Have you ever used one?

The types without the grenade launcher are much easier to maneuver inside buildings, in packed garages etc. My next gun one day will be a second Norinco, or may be a Russian.

SKS

I refused to even touch a SKS for years. A buddy beat me up to shot his, fell in love. I lucked up on a Yugo with a folding stock and 4 x scope a while later for $150. Have enjoyed hundreds of round through it

Back