. . . think about it . . .

rmocarsky

. . . If Ruger were to offer a pump action .44 mag dimensionally equivalent to its defunct autoloading .44 . . . same weight and length . . .

Just think about it.

Rmocarsky

Whats the matter with the autoloader? my dad inherited his brothers .44 mag semi auto carbine from back in the 70's with full wood and what not...It shoots like a dream.

Well for starters, a pump action wouldn't be married to full power loads in order to cycle. You can shoot full power loads or cowboy action loads or maybe even .44 special ammo and the gun runs just fine.

This is very true. I didn't think of it that way. my dad found what his carbine likes and buys that ammo only so that is probably why it didnt run through my mind.

If they made it at least superficially resemble a 1875 Colt Lightning pump rifle, maybe the CAS shooters would buy a few of them.

I bought a Taurus in .45 Colt. It is a nice shooter. I don't use anything but Winchester cowboy loads, and I haven't had any problems. I have a sense of internet paranoia of this action, and I don't want to stress it. I sure enjoy shooting it, and I intend to use it, as the caliber and rifle package is so sweet. I consider it a 255 grain .22, because of the mild report, and bullet trajectory.

The Vulcan .44 Mag/.44 Special

MoVulright30.jpg

The TimberWolf .44 Mag

357.gif

I thought about it some more.
.... I just can't get excited about the idea.

The biggest problem, for me, is that you want Ruger to make it.
Don't get me wrong. I like Rugers, and they outnumber everything else in my house by a factor of 2 to 1.
But... the more complicated the design is, the more machining Ruger has to do to clean up their investment-cast parts. Otherwise, you end up with incredibly rough, stiff actions; or a sloppy action full of stamped sheet metal parts. A stiff pump-action is not a very fun rifle to shoot; and a sloppy pump action isn't much better.

So, it would be: A) a stiff, rough SOB that very few people buy. B) too expensive for its own good, and priced right out of its intended market. Or, C) a sloppy sheet metal wonder, that feels and looks like it was put together by a hot dog vendor.

Since it would have a limited market, to begin with, I don't think it would ever happen.

Back