Things that make you go Hmmm

Metal god

EoQnVY.jpg

Getting ready to open her up and see what's inside :)

One of the few guns exempt from the NFA for having a shoulder attachd to a pistol; very nice! Where did you find it?

Very nice!

Why is this not subject to the rule about attaching a shoulder stock? Not disputing it, just wondering.

Also the "shoulder stock on a pistol" rule is one of the most stupid gun control rules on the books, along with the rule on suppressors, and has such a laughable effect on "gun violence" that both rules should be eliminated by ANYONE supporting "common sense" gun control.

Oh, BTW, (again) nice gun.

P.S. What's the max range listed on the rear sight? If I recall it's waaayyy up there.

There’s a 900 on the rear sight might go to 1k . This is not my firearm it’s a buddies whose father is in poor health so he’s been retrieving some of the items that will be left to him . My buddy is not a Firarms enthusiast even a little bit although his dad was very much . I’m helping him work through all the firearms related stuff .

I love those pistols but they don’t seem to shoot worth a darn.
You just to have the right script. I believe in the Eastwood "Joe Kidd" movie a C96 like this gets hits at something like 400 yards. Been a long time since I saw movie but remember the distance was quite long.

And the Schnellfeuer version would be even more fun.

One of the few guns exempt from the NFA for having a shoulder attachd to a pistol;

Not entirely, unless the ATF has changed their mind, AGAIN...

It's sort of exempt as a curio & relic.

I had one, a Bolo, rebored to 9mm. When the ATF decided it was exempt from NFA registration due to Curio & Relic status, I got the stock/holster. Had it for a decade + and THEN the ATF changed its mind, (refined the definition according to them) and stated it was only exempt if the stock was also a an original, a modern reproduction was not allowed other than as an NFA item.

There are no numbers on the stock wood or metal, there is nothing to positively verify the stock is original or reproduction other than general appearance. My (I assumed) reproduction stock didn't look new, it looked decades old at the least. However, with no way to prove it, one way or the other I sold the stock, and then some years later, sold the pistol.

I MIGHT have been able to convince a court that it was original, and just exceptionally well preserved, but couldn't count on it. SO I avoided the risk.

And yes, its a barking stupid law, especially when the identical item made in 1920 is legal and the exact same thing made in 1950 is not.

Nice Broomhandle. still in .30 Mauser??

And yes, the hammer rings will roughly date the model, for a few years the rings were raised and protruded out from the hammer. These are called "cone hammers" though I'd have to do some research to tell you what version was made when.

Why is this not subject to the rule about attaching a shoulder stock? Not disputing it, just wondering.
From the ATF:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/if-...shoulder-stock-does-constitute-possession-nfa

Last Reviewed April 13, 2020

If a person has a pistol and an attachable shoulder stock, does this constitute possession of an NFA firearm?

Yes, unless the barrel of the pistol is at least 16 inches in length (and the overall length of the firearm with stock attached is at least 26 inches). However, certain stocked handguns, such as original semiautomatic Mauser “Broomhandles” and Lugers, have been removed from the purview of the NFA as collectors’ items.
[26 U.S.C. 5845, 27 CFR 479.11]

There's all kinds of weirdness with that Mauser C96 in your photo's.

First.....that grip angle makes me think the grip frame is bent.
Second....that stock? It's upside down and virtually unusable.

A C96 with stock looks like this:
H0759-L218871314.jpg

It looks like someone sawed off a portion of a real stock and reversed the attaching irons.

Your right something doesn’t look right with this one , I’ll have to take that grip off and see if it’s bent under there or just some how put together wrong .

Are the grips on backwards by chance?

Nope . After further inspection , this thing is all jacked up .

Good eye downtown , The frame of the grip was completely broke off and welded back on and not well .

ngGycU.jpg

zUi161.jpg

Not only that , It appears the front end of the stock was grafted together . What ever happen to this firearm it took a hard fall at some point .

XyNRW6.jpg

The story is that this firearm was with his great grandfathers stuff when he died and with his dad for years . Meaning not sure when the grip broke but the "new" story will be . His great grandfather shot a "parachuting NAZI in the war and he dropped the gun and that's how it broke :rolleyes:

That's got to bring the value back up lol :D

No wait after the solider dropped it a tank rolled over it , yeah that's even better:eek: :o

Last edited:
Thanks FITASC. The amount of knowledge and the willingness of folk to share it is here is always impressive.

Back