Thinging about a Marlin 1894 .357

I've got one with a 16.25 inch barrel. Sweat little rifle and a great shooter. I bought it for the same reason, of course now I have 3 revolvers in 357 as well. I've shot deer with it with good results, of course I wouldnt shoot one out along ways. The doe I took was about 25 yards away. Pit a hole in her front shoulder the size of an egg. I like it so much I went out and bought a 44 magnum just like it (witch my wife stole from me to hunt with), can't have nothing nice.lol.

Nope, I wouldn't want to talk you out of it. They are fine rifles. You might want to consider a Rossi 92 as well. In my experience, the action of the 92 is much smoother. The only downside with the new Rossi 92 is that it has a safety on top, which earlier models did not have. And, some folks don't consider that a downside. You will enjoy either one!

Anyone want to try and talk me into it or out of it?

No, not particularly, one way or the other. I got one for the same reason and I probably haven't put 100 rounds through it. It's a nice little rifle. Mine feeds anything, specials, semi-wadcutters, even full wadcutters. It's a great little rifle and I bought it for much the same reasons you're talking about, but I admit that I don't shoot it much. Maybe I'll have to change that later this month.

If I had to do over I would buy a pre 84 less problematic google the Marlin Jam and you will see why just my two cents take it for what its worth

I've got one. Put in the kit to replace the cross bolt safety and like it just fine. Accurate and reliable little carbine. I put a Lyman Fool Proof peep on it and it works well. I wouldn't hunt deer with it but I could.

I got an 1894C to go with my S&W 627. I also have an 1894SS paired with my S&W 629. Of the two, I prefer the 1894C and 637 pair for economical shooting. With Buffalo Bore ammunition the 1894C pretty much matches the 30-30 out to 100-125 yards. I pretty much limit any hunting to under 100 yards, so the 1894C fits in just fine. I have a Simmons red dot mounted on it and the 1894C has such a mild recoil it has never been thrown off sight-in. I do like my Marlin carbines.

I have a pre-cross bolt safety one, that is what I recommend. I gather there are some quality control problems with the "Remlin" ones, so I would avoid those.

I've got one in the 44Mag to go along with my 6" DW in SS. With shooting the 44spl's it very easy on the sholder and even the kids like to shoot it. Here let me twist you arm.:D

No way I will try to talk you out of buying this, pard. I have a Marlin 1894c in .357 mag and it is a sweet rifle. I like the idea of using the same ammo for both rifle and revolvers.

pre safety

I bought one just before the safety came out, about 1981-82. For a long time it was my favorite GP rifle. I've fed it nearly everything: wadcutters, mid power lead SWC , full house 125's and 158's. Lately there's been trouble in the neighborhood, and I've resurrected it as a SD/PD carbine as I wander about the place, stuffed w/ its current favorite, 158 JHP.

I bought it initially for the ammo interchangeablity factor, and used it that way for awhile, zeroing it with whatever .38/.357 round was in play at the time in my revolvers. But as the auto craze grew, my revolvers took a secondary role. As mentioned, the Marlin now lives on full house 158 JHP,and I do not use that load in either of my .357 wheelguns. The thought is I will kill a few deer with it

No way I'll talk you out of it, my Marlin .357 has been one of my favorite rigs. I will suggest you put a peep or receiver sight on it, a big improvement over factory bead and blade.

Nobody should talk you out of getting this. I have the 1894 in 44, and its great. My friend has the 1894 in 357 and his is also very fun to shoot. Loads and shoots any ammo we put in it. Bottom line is, its definately worth adding to anyone's collection. You wont be disappointed.

they are fun rifles. My son took his first deer with a 18.5 inch barrel 357 magnum Winchester.

He used a hornady 180 grain bullet. I don't remember the powder but the deer only ran about 10 yards.

As long as you keep your range realistic for the gun you should be fine. If I was to buy another one I think I would put a Holographic sight on it because it at the range the 357 magnum is effective a holographic sight would work well.

Back