Thin grips for a model 18?

David Blinder

I picked up a very clean model 18, k-frame square butt and due to the serial number being on the backstrap, it would be difficult to roundbutt it. Are there any smooth, wood grips available that would provide a "slimming" effect? I tried a set of rubber Butler Creeks on it and it felt decent but a bit large for my hand size. Any thoughts?

blunder-you might try finding a pair of the S&W "Magna"-style stocks...they are the service-type "skinny" stocks that were standard equipment of the Model 10, etc. before rubber grips became the rage...check on the various auction sites, they show up periodically....mikey357

If you are trying to "thin" it, look at....

Blunder,
Which model Butler Creek's did you try?
Another option for the square butt is to use the Uncle Mikes Boot Grip for the K frame square butt. They are extremely thin and may in fact accomplish what you are looking for. OTOH, round butting the gun would give it that "special" RB Kframe feel.
.......SmithNut

Thanks for the input guys.

Smithnut, don't you want me to give you that serial # before I get the grinder out? It would be a shame to alter an unusual piece.

Don't cut it yet!!

Blunder,
The grips I am referring to are for the square butt! I am still looking forward to getting the S/N and even seeing pictures!!
Thanks in advance.
.......SmithNut

You may not want to do this but something I have done in the past is to pick up old Magna style grips at a gun show (usually around $20), and grind them down on a belt sander or with a Dremel sanding wheel to whatever thickness feels best. A Tyler grip adapter in addition to the thinned stocks and you are all set.

Back