Thick walled "MAXXtech" 9mm brass ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Road_Clam

This stuff I found at my range today is some very bizarre brass. The casings walls are extremely thick, and there's a machined shoulder. Is this some "+P" mega velocity ammo ? The MAXX casing weighs in at 85.2 gr vs a traditional commercial 9mm casing which is about 60 gr.

Trash it. It is no longer in production but it pops up once in a while. It can be re-loaded but it has a tendency to separate right at the ledge half way inside the case. The problem with the "stepped" cases is that they do not split lengthwise but the separate at the step leaving the top half of the case fire formed to the chamber. It is a royal PIA to get that out of the chamber with a set of dental tools.

Other headstamps that had it were FN, AmmoLand, and Xtreme.

When this brass first appeared, with its reduced volume, I changed my brass sorting procedure and added a check of the case interior as well as the head stamp. I pitch all of this type of brass that I find in my bins. Rod

My theory is they designed this brass to be able to use lighter charges to achieve a suitable pressure/velocity so the ammo could be produced and sold cheaper. I just throw it away.

I don't know why they produced it...more brass in the case isn't cheaper / so I thought maybe it was a shoulder to prevent over-seating of the bullet...

( I picked up a lot of it at my local range about a year ago...and I see very little of it these days)...but I don't reload it, I just drop it in the "to be recycled bucket"...that I sell a few times a year to a local metal salvage company.

I trash all that I come across. I already have had problems using mixed 9mm brass (with pressure issues including pierced primers) and those just look like an accident waiting to happen.

Sure Shot Mc Gee said:
Could such a cartridge brass be something made specifically for Machine-gun use having no {typical} sidewall expansion?

This is really what I was thinking. For example my Uzi needs some really hot ammo to reliably cycle the heavy robust bolt. I'm loading 124 gr bullets to about 1325 fps (out of a 16" bbl).

I stumble across them every once and a while.
I don't know what the initial intent for this design was.
Learned the hard way to check the cases before sizing when one of them reached my press while sizing. :rolleyes:
They really suck on a single stage and I toss them by now.

One intent, I can think about, would be to make high pressure rounds in a unsupported barrel.

They might make good fridge magnets ... I just sorted a couple-hundred out of a bucket of brass I was gifted. This thread makes me believe they are not worth the trouble. I'll probably end-up with 500 or more of these things at this rate ... if not more.

I'll make frdige magnets out of them and sell them on eBay or something so they don't go to waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back