These Cleaning rods any good?

S.F.S

Im curretly looking into getting some good cleaning rods.
I was wondering if any of you all have tried or are currently using Kleen-Bore Saf-T-Clad coated rods or Hoppe's Graphite rods?
Any and all opinions welcome.
Thank you,
Scott

All I can say is: stay away from aluminum rods period, as the naturally occurring oxide on the aluminum shafts is abrasive per se...and from brass, which apparently is soft enough to allow grit to become embedded and thus abrade your barrel.

Stainless Steel or any coated rod should do, but nothing is a substitute for good habits such as cleaning from the breech or using a bore guide if you MUST clean from the muzzle...

S.F.S.

I have no experience with either of these cleaning rods so I can't comment on them. I do know that Dewey coated rods have long been considered the best rods on the market. I have two of the Dewey rods and am quite satisfied with them.

The new Bore-Tech rods have received very positive reviews with some people finding them better than the Dewey's.

I would confine my search to these two brands.

You should also purchase bore guides for your rifles to use while cleaning.

Kleen-Bore rods

I have one of these. It is a coated one-peice rod and works real well. Comes with a muzzle guide if you must go that way. They aren't nearly as fancy as dewey, but for 1/3 the price ($13.00), they work.

Last edited:
At the very least, use a one-piece rod.

Dewey is okay. So are the uncoated Pro-Shot rods. There was a problem with the first of the bore-tech rods having the coating come off, but I understand that they've fixed that.

I use a pair of Pro-Shot rods (one with a jag, the other with brushes), but I'm thinking of getting a Bore Tech to try out...

FWIW, Hart sells some nifty little pliers for tightening on your brushes/jags, etc... About $13 for two of 'em (you need two). I haven't had a jag or a brush come off in the barrel since I started using 'em.

Back