Thermold or PMI Mags for Mini-14?

Skorzeny

To any of you who may be knowledgeable or experienced about Mini-14 and their various aftermarket mags:

Which mags are better (i.e. more reliable and durable), Thermold or PMI (assume Precision Manufacturing Inc.)?

Or are they both acceptably reliable? I would appreciate some knowledgeable thoughts.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Hi Otto,

Ruger never made their own high capacity mags and that was subcontracted out to someone else. While they never told me who, from examination of a factory high cap and a PMI, the only difference I could discern was in the floorplate. I have and recommended PMI and having no experience with Thermold (for the Mini14), am not qualified to comment. Members?

Gary

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I used two PMI 30s and they worked -- AFTER a gunsmith adjusted them. Unlike USA mags which got damaged from the mere act of loading them, PMIs were OK after intial fix.
If I had to pick, I'd be incline to trust Thermolds more.

I've got thermold, USA and mags that Bushmaster was selling. The best are the Bushmaster mags.

Two things:
1) The Thermold mag I have will not feed unless it's on a fired round recoil.
2) I bought a sheet-metal vise grip for $14 and reshaped the lips on the USA mags to have the same angle as the Bushmaster mags. They've been working for over 4 months without misfeeds! I still have the vise grips and I can reshape them if needed again (hopefully not under fire!). Thems some handy vise grips!!

Sean

Seanc:

Where did you get the Bushmaster mags?

Thanks.

Skorzeny

P.S. My name is not Otto. It's Bob, Bob Skorzeny. Just kidding - I AM the most dangerous man in Europe!

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Bob,
I've had my Mini 14 for a little over three years, and I have yet to find a Thermold mag! If they are as good as the Thermold AR mags they must be pretty good. I buy PMI mags exclusively because they have proven very reliable AND available. I just got two more 20 rounders last weekend for $30 each at the gun show, so they are still out there. BTW, I favor 20 round mags because of the shorter length. I also believe they tend to be more reliable, but that's JMHO.

http://www.bushmaster.com

Bushmaster has a mini-14 page of their online catalog. At the bottom of the page are the mags. I don't know if these are the same ones I bought. The ones I bought from them were made by a subsidary of theirs. They needed a little touch up on the blueing, but the price is right.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by seanc (edited December 03, 1999).]

Back