Thermal imaging

TX Instruments was working on thermal imaging for the military in the late 1940s. However that was a line scanning device which took a long time to create an image. It was the mid 1960s before the more conventional thermal imagers were available.

What's driving the current "explosion" of compact, relatively low-cost commercial thermal imagers is the ability to create functional uncooled thermal imaging devices. The original thermal imagers required a cooled focal plane which made the devices expensive, large, and power-hungry.

And TI wasn't even at the origin, although they may have been cutting edge at the time. The first thermographic camera came about in 1929 in the UK for the intended purpose of plane spotting.

Rumor has it that Nazi Germany was working on a thermal image sniper scope in the last days of the war, some say it was code named "Wampyr". No one has ever (to the best of my knowledge) shown a working model, or pictures, some say it was never more than a paper project, and if it did exist would not have been thermal imaging, but another variant of infra red, which they already had working, others say it is a complete work of fiction.

I don't know, but people were looking into the concept from the mid 40s, on.

What's driving the current "explosion" of compact, relatively low-cost commercial thermal imagers is the ability to create functional uncooled thermal imaging devices. The original thermal imagers required a cooled focal plane which made the devices expensive, large, and power-hungry.
I'm no expert, but I'd say you're correct about the uncooled imaging technology.

However... I'd replace the word "original" in your second sentence with the term "higher resolution".
We have ("state-of-the-art") operational military systems, today, that still use a cooled focal plane; and, generally, they have far higher resolution than uncooled focal plane arrays.
Staying at the front of the pack seems to still require cooling for best performance.

The USAF, for example, operates both AAQ-27 and AAQ-37 thermal systems on some of our latest-and-greatest aircraft.
One provides crappy resolution, with the benefit of no cool-down period (so that it doesn't have to be energized and 'ready' at all times during flight). While the other requires a long cool-down period and constant operation, in order to be ready; with the benefits of far superior image resolution (nearly 4 times better), a 360 degree view, high sensitivity, and the ability to detect missile launches (replacing the need for some, or all, DIRCM sensors).

Rumor has it that Nazi Germany was working on a thermal image sniper scope in the last days of the war, some say it was code named "Wampyr". No one has ever (to the best of my knowledge) shown a working model, or pictures, some say it was never more than a paper project, and if it did exist would not have been thermal imaging, but another variant of infra red, which they already had working, others say it is a complete work of fiction.

Vampir was an active IR night vision system. It was first used in combat in February 1945.

I know the US was working on its infrared system too during WW II. Of all places I came across a commentary by a British tank troop leader (Bill Bellamy, book is Troop Leader) who when given command of his regiment's recce troop, was mounted on a M-24 Chaffee. His had infrared.

Anyway, the reason I asked the original question was my editor asked for a timeline of important events or technological developments for sharpshooters and snipers. Since I mentioned the percussion cap, minie ball (that made 500 yard shots regular instead of extraordinary) and metallic cartridge, I'd thought to include night vision and thermal.

Back