theatrically large muzzle flare....

Hi. My first time posting anything, anywhere. So, be easy on me. Cowboy action. I participate regularly in it. Myself and a few of the other shooters use black powder, either in cap/ball pistols, or cartridges. Honestly, the main reason being the theatrical blazing muzzle flashes, with a sprinkle of sparks for good measure. I have tried about three different subs, pyrodex, 2 and 3 f, tripple seven, duplex blackhorn 209...havnt tried Alliant black mz, though I just purchased a can. Here's my question....the kids n ladies LOVE the black powder theatrics. All that flame, and gut-shuddering boom, still low velocities for our reactive targets. The substitutes are clean, and work very well, but lack all that fire. Is there any way to synthesize all or some of that lightshow while using a lesser sulfer synthetic that is easier to find/purchase. After all, there are two main reasons for c.a.s. The competition...and theatrics. And I'm NOT very cometative. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum! I cannot answer your question of how to duplicate the pyrotechnics with substitutes. One of the reasons I shoot real black. I too love a late afternoon BLAST!!

Welcome, Swedish Champion..!

I am also a big fan of the smoke and fire, and make sure to save the last loaded cylinder for some twilight fun, if possible.

3f Goex, round ball, number 10 Remington cap and the Wife with her Nikon.

From my experience, the flash happens so fast that I barely notice it.

I tried to attach a photo. Hope it works. I am still trying to figure that out.

Enjoy the forum... a good group of people here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 64
Here is one from a few years ago. Its my Uberti 1858 with 35grains of home made black. That was a fun day!! :D

Picture1.png

I going to have to dig through my archives, my brother took a great shot of me at night firing my '51 Navy back in 1969 with huge flames and sparks. It is a Kodak slide so I'll have to digitize it.

Here's 80grs FFg in the 12ga during a CAS shoot. When I finished and turned around the RO had donned a GAS MASK!

Attachments

• BP Shotgun-Smokey Pt.jpg
    BP Shotgun-Smokey Pt.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Gasmask RO-Smokey Pt.jpg
    Gasmask RO-Smokey Pt.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 39
T.L.M.F.'s

Well thank all you gentlemen for such a warm welcome. And thank you for all tha neat photos and vids. I'm glad to read so many guys share my appreciation for slow burning powder. I have some magnum research B.F.R. Revolvers in 45-70 gvt. I got them because I thought they would be a cool match to my Henry model 010. I've tried all the Garrett and buffalo bore fist slammers. None had any descent flash to them accept the 420 grain jacketed soft point by B.B. I suppose a slow burning rifle powder (smokeless) and a lighter 300 ish grain bullet may be the next load I work up. (so my buddies eyes bug out at a 3 foot flame at the gravel pit we shoot cans at). Also, I should throw together the classic 405 grain/66 grains of 2-f or cartridge grade geox and do an a/b comparison of flash between smokeless n black. I live in Alaska with no electricity, so I can read n post on here when I'm at work only, so, sorry for the delays. Again...thanks guys!

T.L.M.S'.

One other thing, I figure there are a million reloaders/shooters deadset on creating the most efficient and effective cartridge for animal defense. I need those too...so far about 2 of them every ten years. My recreational shooting takes president...so, if anybody mumbles "your wasting lead, powder, and time".. Your correct. Just having fun.

Back