The Worlds Gone to Hell Part 2

I would take my CAR-15 with a supressor, a Trijicon ACOG with BAC (4X32), and the ubiquitous 22lr conversion.
Firing the 60gr. subsonic 22lr through the supressor, I can take out whatever I need to. In case of an accidental firefight, the 5.56mm is a good manstopper, and ammo can be scavenged. With the scope, I can headshoot deer and anything else. The ACOG gives me a 4x pointsight/scope day and night with no batteries needed.

------------------
I don't CARE about pretty....I just want dangerous.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nyterunner:
I would take my CAR-15 <snip>[/quote]

Great minds think alike - your a man after my own heart!

Here is my "Baby" ;)

And yes, I do have a .22LR Kit for it. :D

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited April 06, 2000).]

Greeting all,
I've been mutely enjoying this forum for quite a while now, and thought it about time to pitch in.

My current "grab n' go" is a folding stock 10/22 with Zephyr peep sights. Light, handy, accurate, reliable (with right ammo), and the fodder is easy to stow (30+ extra rounds fit in the pistol grip compartment). It has both a low acoustic as well as "political" signature. If extra stealth is required, hand-cycling with CB Longs works quite well. Replacement parts are readily available, too. 300+ rounds of .22LR is not too much to lug around, either.

My next project is just starting... I'm building up an NEF HandiRifle System. I've got a .308 Heavy barrel on it now, with a shotgun EER scope coming soon. The scope will allow low mounting forward of the external hammer, and avoid any "eyebrow splicing" should I inadvertantly creep up on the stock. I will add barrels in .223 (with a .22rf insert for small game/quiet times) and 20ga. It already has the "Survivor" storage stock on it, and while not my first pick in fit or comfort, it has one SERIOUS cargo-bay (in addition to a butt-cuff for nine FAST rounds). Ten rounds of .308 fit in the forearm with room to spare, and the butt-stock can swallow boo-coo extra ammo, firestarters, compass (even a small GPS!), cleaning kit, spare parts (if you like, even a Lee Loader and extra components & powder!-what the heck, toss in a whisky flask-that'd make a dandy trade item!). Yes, you could go overboard pretty easily when loading this beast up, but the forearm storage actually allows you to trim out a significant load.

Abiding by the limits imposed of "one gun and 300+ rounds", I could carry the two extra barrels for a fraction of the weight of entire additional firearms. Ammo split might be something like:
.22rf - 120 rounds
.223 - 100 rounds
.308 - 50 rounds
20ga. - 30 rounds
Stow all this in a case only 24" long and you're set to go nearly anywhere, and for a good little while, too.

Result: a single reliable and rugged action that handles .22rf, .223, .308, and 20ga. in an inexpensive but accurate package. Hey, that works for me.

------------------
"...that government of the people, by the people, and for the people, shall not perish from the earth." Abraham Lincoln,The Gettysburg Address, November 19, 1863.
"Once more into the breach, dear friends, or close the wall up with our English dead".Henry V

Only one gun for everything for the rest of my life? Well - at this moment:

Mossberg 590 with peep sights and a folding stock, sling, and a Side Saddle.

Next Question.

Darn. My original reply was lost.

It said, if I could only have one "rifle"- it would be a Mossberg 590! I can always pick up more weapons later.

HK G36KE 5.56mm

It can go about 5000 rds without a real need for cleaning. Plus the dual sighting system is awesome and the gun itself is light, durable, and very easy to maintain.

With only 300 rds though, I think my first stop would be to barter some gas or something for some more ammo at any gun shop that the owner has stayed to defend. =)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomas:
And I don't care how much that damn pack weighs Gunny, I'm a former 0311. I'm sticking my Glock 20 in there too.[/quote]

Yeah... there is always someone that won't get with the program. But ya know... they usually saw the light of what I brought when it was needed. ;)

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited April 08, 2000).]

In this scenario we are given the limitations of one rifle and 315 rounds of ammo for the rest of our life in a remote and essentially unpopulated area in a harsh climate. We may be able to scavenge more ammo, but that should not be relied upon.

Given these restraints, I'd pack a scoped 30-06.

Why? Hunting little critters with only 315 rounds would not bring in much food. Best to get handy with snares and other means to trap them. Large beasts, OTOH, with enough meat to last several months would require a heavier caliber since each shot must succeed in bringing home a large amount of food. If one is very careful, a few rounds per year would be sufficient for this task. 300 rounds could last 50 years and maybe another fifty when passed on to the next generation.

Yes this is possible. My dad harvested a deer per year with his .35 and only used a couple boxes of ammo in all the years that he raised us kids. (He grew up during the Depression when a box of ammo was a major expense). At that usage rate {maybe one for sighting in and maybe two rounds in case of a miss or a wounded deer getting away), 300 rounds would have lasted him a lifetime (he's now in his 80's). My dad always advised me to get a 30-06 since that was his first choice for several reasons but, right after WWII, he could only get a .35. Nevertheless, in brushy eastern woods his .35 served him well and helped to keep us fed. If we had been really dependent on game for food, then another deer or two per year would have been required. Even then, a box of ammo would have lasted a few years and 300 rounds would have lasted decades.

I did consider choosing my .22 mag or maybe my .243 but neither would have been the best choice when one round absolutely must be successful because there are no more to be had - ever. In such a situation, using lighter ammo on rabbits would be a profligate squandering of a limited supply of ammo. One deer could feed a person for months. One rabbit would suffice for only a week at best.

And a 30-06 would be much better for the defensive requirement of deterrence or, hopefully rarely, stopping an aggressor - and preferably at a range where the personal threat is less, aka, "sniping".

Finding ammo for a 30-06 would be much more likely than many other large calibers.

This has been an interesting thread. One question - why so little mention of AK's?

They have such a reputation for durability that I thought they would have garnered more attention.

Regards from AZ

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited April 13, 2000).]

I think AKs are useful for conflicts with people. Little else. Though I'm sure someone will step forth who hunts with one. There is always at least one...

Gotta go with my HSP heavy tactical in 308win, along with 250 rounds of 175 grain HPBT. Then I'll walk over the the bodies and disarm them when I need more/better/other weapons

------------------
Liberty or Death......... without compromise.

Two words. Rifle/Pistol Combo. (all right rifle/pistol is two words but they're joined :) ). Just about any rifle pistol combo would be a good choice. .357 magnum in a lever action and a revolver would be best because of its ability to chamber .38 special. All thought I have to admit that mine would be my Beretta 92 and my Ruger PC-9 carbine. If a .22 can drop a deer why not a 9mm.

------------------
The difference between an optimist and a pessimist is the pessimist has more information.

Well it certainly looks like this thread has got a lot of response. When I originally made up this plot I was thinking in terms of a .303 Enfield, but after some consideration and some very good responses, I think I would change that. My choice (and I still like the idea of the .303) would be a Savage combination gun in 308/12 guage. With a mixture of shotshells and .308 cartridges it would provide an adequite tool to collect both small and large game. I would not put a scope on it, but would rather rely on the iron sights. I agree with the suggestions that a handgun would be an equally valuable tool, as would some knowledge of how to live off the land. My handgun would probably be something like a Ruger Mark 1 or SW model 41. 22 rimfire is easy to carry and these pistols would provide an easy way of collecting small game and if necessary wouldn't be too bad for defense against two legged critters. I also agree that a mind is a terrible thing to waste and for that reason, I would throw in one of the many good books on wilderness survival talking about foraging in the wild. The mind is by far our best weapon and aided by some basic knowledge of outdoor survival and a few good guns, I think that it would surprise many how far one could go.

I would take a Remingtom Model Seven in .223 with a Synthetic Stock and 150rounds in .223JHP and 150rounds in .223FMJ and I would take a Walther P99-9mm. and 300rounds .9mmJHP

AND THATS THAT.

Back