The wife found this in the discard pile......

I wonder if it is some sort of sub-caliber round for a tank type gun. I cant feature it being necked. If we have any cartridge collectors here, it should be childs play for them.

How do you spell joke? Anyone ever see the round that starts with a 20mm case, with a .50 cal soldered inside it, a .30 cal inside that, a .25 inside that, and a .22 Hornet inside that, necked down to a phonograph needle. It is about 18 inches long, and someone made up several of them 30 years or so ago.

Jim

Jim, that is quite a bit more elaborate than my gag cartridge. I got some .50 AE brass and seated a .50 BMG bullet in it and told everyone at work that I had a derringer in that caliber.

Hmmmm, seems to be more than I thought, originally.

The thing is solid brass and appears to be turned. The "primer pocket" extends all the way from base to tip. (I put some aluminum foil in the hole to look like a primer.) I thought it might be a hash pipe or something. Or just a gag.

Mr. Brunner's comment made me think. I checked and it will chamber a .38 Special or .357 Magnum round. The squared off shape of the rim, "shoulder" and case mouth would easily headspace it.

The legend "125.250 CF MAG. SHORT HP" doesn't ring any bells with me. I think it's just a gag. But I didn't realize it would hold a live round, either.

Makes a heck of a paperweight and conversation piece.

There is another possibility. If it is genuine it might also be a separate-loading primer case that someone stuck a bullet into. A lot of larger field artillery pieces use such a primer, but I dont recognize this one.
The fact that it uses a full-length primer tube(probably slotted or perforated) suggests that it might be used to set off something else.

Back