The Violence Policy Center condemns SHOT show

dZ

Gun Industry Kicks Off Annual Trade Show on Holiday
Honoring Assassinated Civil Rights Leader Martin Luther King, Jr.

The Violence Policy Center (VPC) today condemned the gun industry trade group the National Shooting
Sports Foundation (NSSF) for kicking off its annual gun trade show, the SHOT Show, on the national
holiday honoring Martin Luther King, Jr., who was assassinated with a Remington rifle in 1968.

This is not the first time that pro-gun organizations have drawn fire over the issue of inappropriate
scheduling: the National Rifle Association (NRA) was strongly criticized for holding its 1996 convention on
the first anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing, as well as for opening its 1998 convention on the
30th anniversary of Robert F. Kennedy's assassination.

"This macabre timing is only the latest addition to the gun lobby's bent for inappropriate and insensitive
scheduling," said VPC Executive Director Josh Sugarmann. "While most Americans will be honoring Dr.
King's memory, SHOT Show participants will be reveling in a celebration of firearms."
http://www.vpc.org/

Isn't it interesting that VPC *failed* to note the historical significance of the date of the gummint's assault on Mt Carmel...

Dear Mr. Sugarmann: BITE ME!

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson

Too much from this guy. He needs a new life. I doubt you could find any date without some historical significance related to violence.

Yup, I'm pretty sure that on any given day one can research the date and find some heinous event that occurred on that date, and what ever you're doing on that day will be perdceived as disrespectful and offend somebody somewhere for some reason. An unfortunate coincidence, but also luck of the draw and time marches on. Small issues, small minds, small lives. Definitely. Get a life.

FWIW, I see another irony in that Dr. King was a victim of racism, and gun control has very racist roots. If we may speculate, as the VPC folks so like to do, we might surmise that had Dr. King's party been properly prepared and armed (which would have been real 'sporty' for a bunch of politically active black guys running around in the South agitating in the early `60's), the whole 'shootin' match' might never have occurred, and the good DR. might still be with us, What about that, Josh? I mean, like , the cops certainly weren't any place close enough to be useful. Yeah, Josh, definitllely. Bite me, too.

How does this idiot feel about the Black Panthers? Were they evil too, for carrying guns? How about the law books they used to confound cops who were violating civil rights?

I believe Dr. King was opposed to VIOLENCE, not to people with the foresight to own arms so they could stop violence.

I believe King was shot at 120 yds or so. Nothing short of an expert counter-sniper on scene could probably have done much to prevent his death.

This is just part of the propoganda machine that wants to equate all gun ownership with lawless individuals that perpetrate crime. Just like the abbreviated NRA conference in Denver following the Columbine shooting. What responsible gun ownership has to do with murderers is beyond me, but you can bet the VPC is working hard to establish a connection.

Jack, you're absolutely right, of course. NO date is the only acceptable date to Mr. Sugarmann. He sees us as the enemy, and he refuses any quarter, or truth, regarding firearms. Fair enough ... he is certainly the enemy of Americans who still treasure freedom, and he is certainly the enemy of honest men, women and children.

I will point out that his spineless (not to mention ignorant) supporters were not to be found in Las Vegas. I saw not one anti-self defense type in the area. Lurkers, probably - but no protestors.

It was also notable that people were walking around the Show, the strip and even the airport discussing firearms and related issues as though this were still a free country. Even the fellow at the airline ticket counter mentioned he had seen some 'beautiful pieces' yesterday, including a vintage Winchester that seemed to particularly impress him. In line to board our flight, we discussed the great fun shooting Uzi's yesterday, and learning about another firearm. No one paid any attention - it was clear the town was filled with honest citizens who were interested in and knowledgeable about firearms. No big deal.

Mr. Sugarmann still believes in the boogie man. As a friend of mine said with sarcasm, as he looked around at the well-dressed crowd at the SHOT Show ... 'gee, these folks don't look like murderers ...' ;) In a way, I suppose intellectual dolts like Sugarmann should be pitied, and I would pity him, but for his blatant and virulent attacks upon the liberty of honest Americans.

In truth, Martin Luther King Day is probably the absolutely appropriate time for an honest industry to gather ... in support for the economics behind perhaps the most important civil right - the right to keep and bear arms.

It's not about gun rights ... it's about civil rights.

It's not just about the 2nd Amendment ... it's about the Bill of Rights.

Back