The value of gun registration

SIGSHR

A few years ago I mentioned that I had bought a couple of nice Colts at
an estate sale. whereupon an older lady in earshot said "They're properly registered of course" I replied "They most certainly are." I didn't tell her the
man they are registered to died in 1990.

We have people in the military who are stationed at the Air Base. The always come in and ask about what they have to do to register their guns? We give them a dumb look and say "Register"? They love not having the idiotic laws.

One guy I met was from Illinois and felt like a kid in a candy store.

Registration is a useless Liberal exercise, that does absolutely no good.

That is a flat out lie...

Registration does a lot of good when they decide to go around and take law abiding people's guns away.

I guess I'm a little confused about what "registration" acually entails. I live in Virginia, a state in which handguns are not registered per se. But when you buy a pistol, and you supply your info for the background check, is there not a record of the serial number of the pistol and to whom it was sold, at least in the FFL's records?
My point is, if the State Police or whomever wanted to know what handguns I own, couldn't they just search the backgound check database files for my name and up come the serial numbers?
If this is the case, how does this differ from registration?
I may be way off here, I don't know if the serial number is linked to the BG check at all, and law enforcement would have to check every gunshop it the state with a warrant to go throught the FFL's rrecords.
:confused::confused:

I found this link, which answers my questions, and I thought I'd pass it on:

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_registration.html

If I'm reading it correctly, law enforcement would basically have to know beforehand the FFL from whom you purchased your handgun and physically go there to check his log to see what you'd purchased.
But what happens to all those logbooks at the ATF when the FFL retires from the firearms business? My dealer is closing his business down and, I presume, retiring from the firearms business. When he surrenders his log, is there some guy at ATF who goes through it and says, "Hey, this Joe Smith guy sure has bought a lot of guns. Hmmm....maybe better check him out?"

I have to rant a little here. The business, The Trophy Room in, Alexandria VA,
is closing because the city's ridiculous zoning laws won't let them expand because it would mean altering a "historic" shed in the alley.
So, after six years, a successful business (and guns are only a small part of the quiality sporting goods they sell) is going to shutter it's doors. To be replaced, no doubt, by some tacky t-shirt shop for all the tourons.:mad:

TheBluesMan- I live in New Jersey. If you buy a handgun from an FFL or in a
private sale from someone going "by the book" you need a 4 page "Permit to
purchase Handgun or Revolver." Each page is color coded-the seller keeps the
top copy-white. The buyer keeps the pink(?) copy, the other two go to the State Police and local PD. As a practical matter the only people who get in trouble for having an "unregistered" gun are street types arrested for illegal
activities.

What's it worth?

As another poster already stated, registration is very useful for a government that wants to confiscate your firearms. They know who to look for and where they are. makes the whole process a snap! And because you DID register your firearms, you're a law abiding citizen who'll roll over and do what the man says before risking your status as a law abiding free citizen.

Registration always precedes confiscation.

Back