the usual suspects at it again, or still, according to NRA Alert.

alan

New Microstamping Legislation Introduced

Friday, February 08, 2008

This week, Senator Edward M. Kennedy (D-MA) and Congressman Xavier Becerra (D-CA) introduced "microstamping" legislation titled the "National Crime Gun Identification Act of 2007." The bill is co-sponsored in the Senate by Senators Feinstein (D-CA), Menendez (D-NJ), Lautenberg (D-NJ), Durbin (D-IL), Schumer (D-NY), and Reed (D-RI).

Commenting on the bill's introduction, Kennedy said, "Micro-stamping ammunition is an important and effective method of tracing guns, and provides law enforcement with a much-needed resource in solving crimes."

Actually, microstamping has never been implemented. Legislation was passed in California at the end of last year, but has not been implemented. Therefore, claiming it is an "effective method" is not correct. On the contrary, there are numerous and varied problems with micro-stamping (for additional information on those flaws, please click here: http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=223&issue=078).

The measure has support from the usual gun ban groups, such as the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, the Brady Campaign, and others.

Of course, we will continue to actively monitor this legislation and will apprise you of any developments.

there is a large state level push on ammunition tagging too.

http://ammunitionaccountability.org/default.asp

Quote:
About Us

Ammunition Accountability is a newly forming group of ammunition coding technology supporters. ...ammunition coding technology works by laser etching the back of each bullet with an alpha-numeric serial number. Then when a potential criminal purchases a box of 9mm cartridges, the box of ammunition and the bullets’ coding numbers would be connected to the purchaser in a statewide database. When a bullet is found at a crime scene, the code on the bullet can be read with a simple magnifying glass and then be run through a statewide database to determine who purchased the ammunition and where, providing a valuable investigative lead.

Here is an example from TN

Quote:
TN & IL Ammunition Accountability Act
HOUSE BILL 3245 By Miller L, SENATE BILL 3395 By Tate

Gist: No later than January 1, 2011, all non*coded ammunition for the calibers listed in this act, whether owned by private citizens or retail outlets, must be disposed of.
Quote:
...SECTION 4.

(a) All handgun and assault weapon ammunition manufactured or sold in the state after January 1, 2009, shall be coded by the manufacturer.

(b) No later than January 1, 2011, all non*coded ammunition for the calibers listed in this act, whether owned by private citizens or retail outlets, shall be disposed.

They have bills in California, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Mississippi, New York, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Washington
right now.
You "it's unconstitutional, Ex post facto" " I'll be grandfathered in the next ban" folks should note this.

Last edited:
Isn't Kennedy due for a career ending old age induced problem already? And what the heck are Schumer and Feinstein still doing in power?

Since the police did not bother to collect all the projectiles when my neighbor was killed by home invaders, the idea of stamping projectiles with I.D. seems to be of limited utility.

Things that happen in Cali can spread like cancer. To wit: Di Fi

Kennedy said, "Micro-stamping ammunition is an important and effective method of tracing guns, and provides law enforcement with a much-needed resource in solving crimes."

I challenge anyone to name one crime solved by microstamping.

Outside of California, has this "micro stamping" foolishness been enacted anywhere, and aside from that aspect, has it anywhere been demonstrated workable. BTW, I realize that the absence of workability or practicality or common sense in a proposal has never bothered the antis, I simply thought the question worth asking.

Back