The Ultimate M1A Setup?

DeBee

Since we're kicking around the M1A topic, I recently had an opportunity to trade for a box of mismatched M14 parts, including a good looking Smith Ent. receiver- about the only thing worth money in the box- perfect except the previous owner must have test fitted the barrel (18.5" no flash hider- Douglas XX???) several times without lube and buggered both threads...

In any case I would like suggestions from those with more experience in designing a sexy setup for a M1A. Links, pictures, building and bedding tips- other than Fulton Armoury appreciated...

DeBee, gotta ask, what do you want out of it. Ultimate anything depends on your objective. Try to make it do too much and it won't do anything well.

I just want a sweet, smooth functioning, reliable M1A Carbine. It does not have to be super accurate. I do know there are a lot of custom parts that might improve function.

Stocking advice, flash hider/muzzle brake options and opinions, trigger job???, HK style front sight assy??? Things like that... How would you set up your Ultimate M1A without becoming overly concerned with accuracy?

I could get this "kit" (and I use that term loosely) or start looking for a SAR 8...

DeBee,

This might be a place to start.

I have a document put out by the USMC.

It's document number is TI-02648A-25/10B
Titled:USMC Technical Instruction,Match condition procedures, Rifle 7.62 mm, M14 HQ USMC Washington, DC 20880 - 27 November 1972

It gives EXACTLY how to modify the M14 for "Match Conditions". While I readily admit this isn't end all and be all of M14's, its as good a place as any to start. You could pick and choose your own requirements from this manual. Jim

Back