The Ultimate Hunting Scope Question

jerpoh

Inactive
Everyone talks about the best scope in a middle price range and it always comes down to a Leupold, Nikon, and Bushell. So let's say you're set on buying a 3-9x40 scope, which would you choose between a leupold VX-I, a Nikon Bushmaster, or a Bushell Elite 3200? They all run around $200-230 with a lifetime warantee and all claim to be 100% waterproof and fogproof. Which scope would you choose out of the three (or even throw in one of your own in the same price range) and why?

I would go with the Bushnell 3200 of those three choices.
The VX-1 has friction adjustments not click for windage and elevation. I am not sure about the Nikon, but I believe the Bushnell has click adjustments.
They are all three very good clear scopes and you would be served well by any of them.

I would however suggest the VX-2 Leupold over the other 3 partly because of the reputation for quality and personal preferance for the Leupold and the click adjustments which I prefer.

leupold.

Best QC and warranty service in the industry.
Equally bright or better than equivalent in price range.
Sturdier than any others.
its the standard by which scopes in its price class are measured.

This is coming not only from a person who usese leupold but sells scopes too...and margins are a lot higher on the competition than they are on leupold.

A word about Burris...their scopes are overly heavy and fragile. Their customer service is the WORST in the industry. We do not sell them nor will we reccomend them.

WildleupoldasaremostpopularinAlaska

Burris

With the 3 choices you listed, I would go with the Burris fullfield without a doubt, especially in that price range. Its going to be much better than the leupold VXI or II and definetly the Bushnell. I don't know to much about the Nikon. I have a Burris in a 3x9x50 in a fullfield on my 7mm weatherby mag and it works great.

One of my Leupolds sat over a few thouand rounds of .30-'06, beginning in 1973. Another is on a .243 with about a thousand rounds through it; a 1982 model. Both have survived thumps and knocks and involuntary descents down steep slopes without losing zero.

I don't worry about clicks vs. friction or repeatability of adjustments on a hunting rifle. "Set it and forget it" except for the occasional minor adjustment from year to year when checking the zero.

Art

I have a burris on my 44 revolver, the scope somehow screwed up the first time out at the range. Something inside fell into the view of the scope. Anyways, I called burris and they had me ship it in. Turn around was pretty fast. I can't complain about the customer service.

I can't complain about the customer service.

Wait till it breaks again...and again...andd again...and again....and they have you ship it in again...and again...and again...and again...

WildtheworstAlaska

I don't know about Bushell. Nikon is very well made, so is Leupold. I would go for Leupold because of their warrenty and you can deal with them in States vs. Japan.

Thanks Wild.
I have been looking at the Leupold VX-2 for three or four weeks and needed a push over the edge. I need the clicks of the -2.

What about a Weaver K4 ?? I bet they have been used by alot of hunters throught its history :) And alot seem to be really old when I look at used guns so they must be reliable :)

Dimitri

In my opinion 2X-7X is the best variable for nearly all big game hunting. Higher power such as 10X is almost never used except by antelope hunters at long long range.

I like a bright scope with no blurriness around the edges. It needs to be tough enough to last a decade or so. My favorites are Simmons 44 MAG and AETEC. Their Pro Hunter 2X-7X is budget priced but still a good one. My 30-30 carbine wears this economy scope and it has held its zero in below zero weather with no fogging or amy problems at all.

Of the scope you mentioned, the 3200 would be my choice as well. Combination of features, warranty, and pricing. Look at cheaperthandirt.com for competitive pricing.

Hope this is helpful.
Jack

For somebody whose primary deal is deer hunting, who doesn't need the precision required for varmint hunting at longer distances, the old Weaver K4 is hard to beat.

4X is all you need for deer to around 300 yards or so, given the size of the kill zone. The field of view is plenty good if you need to make a shot on a running deer.

I never really kept track, but I guess I killed a dozen or so deer with a K4 on my rifle before messing around with variables...

Art

In my opinion 2X-7X is the best variable for nearly all big game hunting.

Except the 2-7 generally has a smaller objective hence less light transmission

My favorites are Simmons 44 MAG and AETEC

With all due repect those foreigh made junk scopes are not in the same class as leupld or Nikon

WildonwardandupwardAlaska

With all due repect those foreigh made junk scopes are not in the same class as leupld or Nikon

Alaska,

I think you are being hard on Simmons. I researched and decided that the Simmons ATEC was going to be the scope for my newest project. It was Simmons' flagship scope. I looked at it in the store and outside, it was very clear. The adjustments seemed to feel precise.

I put the ATEC on my Virgin Valley custom Thompson Center Encore. This was configured as a 300 Winchester Magnum rifle with a 27 1/2 inch Shillen barrel wood furniture completed by Virgin Valley.

The Simmons ATEC did not break on the first shot. It broke on the second.

LOL. I agree with Alaska 100%. I have a Nikon Monarch scope and the rifle now and I am very pleased.

I would vote for Leupold or Nikon based on my experience. No problem with Bushnell just a lack of experience.

Charles

Last edited:
Among the cheaper ones line...

NIKON is the best...

But don't buy the cheaper ones... the value of the higher end is well worth the difference in the price.

Among the higher end... Leupold is best.

When you buy from these three brands, the only significant difference is in the quality of the lenses.

That's why you always hear Leupold mentioned.

The scope is only as good as how long or how well you can see, before sunrise and after sundown. ;)

You know when you finnaly get a good cheap 4X
wally world scope their's nothing tougher .
Tripped and landed ontop of a bsa and crushed
the top cap figured it was toast Still dead on .
But i'm sure all the trouble and ammo to find a
good one is not worth it. But when you got a
rifle shooting good, know where in gonna hit theirs
on point in shooting it anymore .

quote by wildalaska
"has a smaller objective hence less light transmission"

I gotta ask for details on this one Wild.My understanding is objective size affects the magnification power(on a variable) that optimum light transmission is achieved.
For example,two variable scopes(a 32 and 50 obj.) of the same make should have the same glass and the same light transmission.The scope with the 32 obj. will reach its optimum light transmission at a lower magnification than the scope with the 50 obj.

For two scopes of equal magnification, the one with the larger objective lens will allow more light through it. The increase is not linear, however. While a 50mm lens is 25% greater in diameter than a 40mm, it doesn't allow 25% more light to come through.

Probably the best discussions/explanations are at the scope makers' web sites.

Art

Hey, you should start checking out ebay if you haven't already. Not trying to endorse ebay, but I got a heck of a deal on a Zeiss scope today. I got a 3-9x40 stainless Zeiss for $350, brand new and in the box. Well, I hope it is. I haven't got it yet, but I've had pretty good luck so far. It's pretty hard to beat a Zeiss.

Back