The truth on the winchester mod 1400 mk 2

bspillman

I got an offer to trade my partner pump even for it. I read mixed reviews. Can any one tell me if they are any good as a all around hunting gun?

While the 1400's were definitely not the cream of the crop, IMHO one's miles better than a Turkish-made pumpgun.

At least, if it needs repair, you can be assured that most parts are available.

I have had one since 1972. It has only failed to function once, and that was because I didn't clean it for several years. A good scrubbing and it was back in business. Still goes bang with each pull of the trigger. It has been a good shotgun for me.

Mine shoots very well but is ammo picky. Also, you have to keep 'er clean. The only thing I don't like is its recoil properties; it has kind of a double recoil that got old on long doving weekends.

My 1400 ranger, after CASES of all name and # shells fired (we're talking 8s, 6s 2s, 0000 buck, 00 buck, slugs, high brass low brass, cheap, high dollar,...whatever) only offered to jam up when it got REALLY dirty. If it was kept clean, it ran like a top firing as fast as the trigger would allow....and it patterned really well to boot. Cheap and frill-less?....yes. Junk.....heck no.

That being said, only taking 2 & 3/4" shells along with the added negative of only having a two shot magazine....it made for a GREAT dove gun and a blast to dust clay pidgins with, but otherwise worthless to me. I bought it for $200 LNIB condition, had fun with it for a couple of years and replaced it with a 12 ga SxS.

Oh, and with anything but low brass bird shot....it'd beat the heck of your shoulder like and Auto 5 (mine did anyhow)

But I'd trade a Chinese made Pardner for a 1400 in a heartbeat though if it were me.

ALSO

DO NOT buy or trade for one without spinning off the end cap and removing to forearm first! What your doing is inspecting the magazine tube for damage or "modification".

Some goons got the idea off the internet that by drilling out the three rivets (some are spot welded?) on the tube, the gun would hold more shells (WRONG). Or, if they looked ripped out that can happen from time to time on very well used guns. There is a little "cup" in there that is tacked in place. What it does is acts as a separator for the piston return spring, and the magazine follower spring. if removed, the spring will mesh together, probably ruin the spring in the process and the gun will not function. If it's still in there, but not tacked in place, the gun will most likely not function properly and jam like crazy.

If it looks to be in good shape, your golden. If it's ripped loose/drilled out, no big deal. Numrich has them in stock most of the time. Out for a few weeks sometimes but then they come back. Set you back $40-$50

Here is the part number (in stock at the moment)--------1035580A

And a link with an exploded diagram (part #9 is the one in question here)
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Winchester-33573/Shotguns-42603/1400-41801.htm?page=3

I know, the page says 1400* rather than 1400 MKII but this part is interchangeable between the two

I knew a few guys who owned one back in the 70's and 80's. They wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list if I were out searching used gun racks for a shotgun. But If I ran across a good one on the cheap I might buy it.

In your case I'd probably make the trade.

The 1200s and 1400s got a bad rap because a LOT of them broke parts. I used to shoot at a Winchester range, and I had a friend who worked there, and they rented guns. They had an empty 55 gallon drum in the back. When it got full of broken guns, they would package them up and ship them all back to Winchester. It got full fairly often.

Back