The Thompson Center Venture

tsreeves831

Inactive
I know that people have said that they don't like this gun because it is very limited on upgrades, but excluding that, what are your opinions? I have not shot one, but I love the way the gun is put together. It is a perfect weight and just feels good in my hand. Accuracy is the trademark of Savage (which I also like) but just don't like the way its put together quite like the T/C. Appreciate the feedback

I've never used one but I've also never heard much in the way of negative comments on it. How many rifle users ever do serious customizing to their hunting rifles anyway? Some may swap various scopes, slings, recoil pads, etc. but that is about all. If it feels good to you, I don't see any reason to avoid it.

I have a venture compact chambered in 7mm08. Its plenty accurate shooting 139 grain bullets. The 5R rifling has proven accurate with many ammo types. The trigger adjusts down to an acceptable hunting weight. The stocks on the ventures are atually quite stiff and the barrels come totally free floated. The action runs very smooth and the 60° bolt throw doesnt hurt either. I recommended them. A great rifle and a hard to beat price.

I had one in 25-06, shot anywhere between .5-.75 inch at 100 yards. Very accurate rifle. I will say the magazine wouldn't ever drop free, I always had to lift the tab at the bottom and push it down from the top to get it out. Other than that, great rifle! One of the best in the price range, IMO

My results are similar to upstate81's. Mine is a 30-06 24" barrel. The first three shots ever were at 100yrds when I was dialing in the scope. The ammo was Hornady American Whitetail 150gr and all three shots were touching. Walking back from the target the smile on my face was huge because this rifle just did that with cheap ammo and I was thinking about shooting my handloads. They shot even better. :)

My opinion is its a damn good rifle for the price. Better barrel and better stock than most in its price range. I love mine and as far as Im concerned it doesn't need anything except the bolt disassembly tool you get with the Icon. The bolt can still be broken down its just harder.

I have one in .30-06. I think it is an excellent rifle. After reading an article on TFL, I adjusted the trigger overtravel but that's because I have become a bit anal about overtravel after adjusting my Model 70 and cutting the groups by almost 1/2. :D

I have had mine almost 3 years and would probably buy another if the gun case weren't full.

I bought one this last fall in 30-06 and when I took it to the range I had multiple failures to fire due to light primer strikes. I looked into it and found it was a common problem due to the short throw of the firing pin. I also found on mine that the firing pin protruded about 3/16" out the end of the bolt and would contact the primer before really gaining any momentum so I shortened it to protrude 1/16" and that seems to have cured the problem since it has the extra room to gain speed before hitting the primer now. I will say that the rifle is extremely accurate so far and all loads I have tried have been sub MOA.

Back