The Stingray, from Clinger Holsters: thumbs up!

OhioGuy

I just received a new holster yesterday from Clinger Holsters. I've only just begun to use it, but so far I love it!

It's the Stingray model, which is an IWB kydex holster with a wide belt clip. The clip is not adjustable, but I ordered it with the 15 degree forward cant. It is not tuckable.

This link gives a good overview of it. I have an XD Mod.2 subcompact, which is featured in some of their pictures, so you can get a good idea of how it looks. I'll post additional pictures when I get the chance!

https://clingerholsters.com/product/stingray-strong-side-clinger-holster/

Retention is adjustable easily, and it includes some additional rubber spacers that are thicker and/or thinner than what's preinstalled, so you could adjust it over a very wide range. Now, it may loosen over time, but for now the retention is perfect right from the box.

The workmanship is superb. No rough edges, and you can tell they paid a lot of attention to detail. It was only $40. My only gripe was the time it took to get it. They say "only" 3-4 weeks" on their site, but it took closer to 6 weeks! At least it was worth the wait.

What they claim sets it apart from other similar holsters is the location of their belt clip. They mount it near the trigger guard of the gun, rather than along the slide, so it rotates the grip into your body when you tighten your belt over it. I can vouch that this is indeed the effect. It prints less than some others I've tried in various gun stores. The effect isn't huge, but it's noticeable. My prior holster was the pro model from N82 Tactical, which is comfortable for sure, but very very bulky. This is considerably better concealed.

It works great at AIWB positions, where the slight cant keeps the grip aligned with my waist rather than sticking out over the belt, yet without making the draw awkward. Works well along the 4-5 o'clock positions also. It's very easy to get on and off if you need to do that throughout the day.

Anyway, so far, I have a positive endorsement of this particular holster and of the quality from Clinger. Maybe they need to staff up to cut their production times down, but that would probably drive up costs, so maybe they're in the sweet spot.

I'll post some additional pics later.

Finally, some photos!

This is the Stingray holster with the XD Mod.2 subcompact. I expect it would be very similar with almost any comparably sized gun. Of note is the location of the clip relative to the trigger guard and grip--namely, that's where the clip is attached, rather than along the slide. It really does pull the grip into the body for better concealment.

Front view of the holster:

1A8JkMF.jpg

The gun, holstered:

6XdFpaX.jpg

Shown from the top while worn at about 2:00 position...the grip is very tight to the body (the extra pudge may help with this :D):

akH60ui.jpg

View from the front, roughly 2:00 position. Note that the 15 degree cant helps to keep the grip following the contour of the waistline, and not hanging out over the belt:

tkupNeh.jpg

Lastly, worn at about 4:00. Again the cant helps to keep it more closely aligned to the waistline. Printing is pretty minimal in this position, but of course is still moreso than at a forward position.

gsBhsdf.jpg

My impressions are that this holster is a quality item and does deliver on the company's promise of helping to better conceal by pulling the grip into the body. It's fairly comfortable, and doesn't dig into my body. The slight cant does make the draw just a tad contorted when worn in front, but it does wonders for helping concealment. After a little practice, it isn't awkward anymore.

Overall I don't think I'd hesitate to recommend this to anyone, and it was only $40 plus shipping. The only downside (which is no longer an issue, now that I have it) was the wait time...almost five weeks from when I placed the order.

Back