The sound of the striker hitting the primer

Mobuck

followed by the SMACK of the 22 bullet hitting steel @ 60 yards.

How can a "gun guy" not LOVE that?

Just finished running 1/2 box of shells through the muffled RAR simply because I hadn't fired a shot for a couple weeks.
I feel better, now.

Yep.
Ran some of my quietest subs through the .300 Blk last weekend.

Witnesses hear the bullet impact.
To the shooter, the action cycling is even louder than the bullet impact.

Later in the day, I did a little sound test. Standing 50' behind the shooter with my eyes closed, I was unable to tell how many shots had been fired. I told him to shoot a couple of times but he'd actually emptied the 10 shot mag.

RAR=Ruger American Rimfire?

If so, that's what I have as one of my suppressor hosts, and it's awesome. I was only shooting out to ~20 yards, but we shot oranges. You could hear the slug hit the orange.

RAR=Ruger American Rimfire?

yes
Using Aguila or RWS subsonic, the rifle is capable of smacking the 2" swingers @ 60 yards consistently. The smaller targets beyond that range are problematic since this rifle has a 1.5-4.5x32 hunting scope mounted.

Keep in mind that once you get past 50-60 yards, compensating for bullet drop becomes a bigger factor with the sub-sonic ammo. A 50 yard zero will be 3-4" low @ 75 and 8" or more low @ 100. Shooting the sub-sonics @ 100 yards from a 4" pistol zeroed @ 25 yards requires even more.

Last edited:
You can always get crazy and mount a target scope on it. Then just dial in the dope you need or use the reticle for holdover/wind. All the fun of long distance shooting but at normal ranges.

One downside is scopes with target turrets and reticles tend to be beefy and top-heavy even on short ARs. They’d probably effect the handiness of a RAR significantly. On the other hand, it is pretty fun to ring steel at a distance with a suppressed .22.

My RAR needs to stay light so the Grandkids can use it for hunting if they choose. Hence, the small lower magnification scope. i'm not a knob twiddler so I just hold over as needed.

Back