The shotgun I want

cloud8a

I want a Remington Wingmaster that I can hunt deer and turkey with. I’d like to find one in the $300-$350 range. I’d like it to be an auto. The most important thing to me though is that it can effectively kill deer and turkey as well as any shotgun can. The place I hunt is shotgun and black powder only.

I have a 870 WM in 16 guage full choke and the 2 3/4 only shells that fit it are not that great for turkey.

What model and guage do you guys suggest?

3X on the 1100.

A fantastic shotgun that can do deer, birds and sporting clays as well.

Just use the proper shells and chokes for your particular hunting.

I use #6 for pheasants and slugs for white tails. Sporting clays works fine with #8

Wingmaster is a pump; you want the 1100 as mentioned; 2-3/4" will easily do the job of you do yours.

I like the way, you think.

3X on the 1100.
I'm not up on the latest and greatest but my 1100 has served me well for many years. Have lost count of the deer I have taken. I also have a 20GA. and it loves to hunt upland. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

back in the day

My Dad was a 16 ga man, and there were several shotguns so chambered that resided at our place over the years. Dad never was one to spend too much on guns or accessories, the one that remained and is in my possession is a Savave/Stevens 67. I also have several boxes of Dad's old ammo, and among those are 16 ga "short magnums" throwing 1-1/4 oz of shot. Those old loads, if they patterned, would be good turkey loads at reasonable ranges and the equal of a standard 12 ga heavy field load. The two boxes of16 ga short mags
in my collection are Remington #2 shot, and I think Federal #6.

The 1-1/8 and 1-1/4 oz 16 ga loads are often criticized as producing poor patterns, and too much recoil for a 16 ga. There were/are a number of good 16 ga guns made back in the day. I often see 870's and Auto 5's in 16ga in the used gun racks. Likely a pipe dream, but one of the big ammo makers should come up with a line of premium/specialty 16 ga heavy loads to boost the 16 ga. Even the current "heavy" 16 ga load, the 1-1/8 load, with the simple addition of buffered shot would likely improve the 16 as a gobbler gun. With the price point ammo commonly found, its no wonder the 16 ga languishes.

Problem is, there are not many 16 gauge shotguns any more. A few guns with 16 gauge barrels, but they are mostly as big as a 12.

"...yes to it being a 12..." A 12 will be more versatile. However, a 20 gauge will do the same job with less felt recoil. That won't matter with a semi-auto though.
"...not that great for turkey..." It's the choke, not the ammo. People do hunt turkey with a 20 gauge. Mind you, with a 16 gauge, you'll have to be reloading. And you'll have to pattern any shotgun for turkey. A lot depends on what choke your 870 has. Best if it's a RemChoke.

If you can use sabot and rifled barrel look for a used Ultra slug hunter, the 20 I have is flat shooting, low recoil tack driver. I’ll never go back to 12 fosters for deer. For turkey any full choked 12gauge will suffice. Spend the money on the deer gun and scrimp for the turkey gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen somewhat of a comeback with the 16 lately - more ammo choices, more folks buying/ordering new ones - even Perazzi has come out with one.

inspired

Prompted by all of this 16 ga talk, I took a 1950 Savage 311 to the range today to pattern as a candidate for a hunt. I liked the idea of a retro gun, my Dad hunted a 16 ga double, as did a grand old gent down the street from me as a kid. And it is a delight to carry. At 26" tubes on its diminutive frame, (Jim Watson, I suspect sized to the gauge) it weighs a good deal less than my 870, and it is just as short as the 21" pump gun and shorter than bamaboy's 24" Moss 835 by a good bit.

However, my hopes were not high, as the old gun is choked IC/M. But hey, I thought maybe it would surprise me with modern ammo. It did not. At 30 yds, with the modified tube, patterns w/ several varieties of shells were just too thin for me to consider using on a tom past 25 yds, Which would be very sporting, but not lead to as many gobblers in the truck. In truth, the modified barrel threw a modified pattern.....slightly right to point of aim I might add. Best performer was Remington Express Long Range, 1-1/8 oz of #6. The price point 1oz #6 from two makers were basically rabbit loads. Which is probably what this old gun was intended (and quail).

It was a treat to handle and shoot. No telling how long it had been since the old gun had been fired. But a turkey gun it is not. But I probably already knew that.

If it’s 7lbs (or more) it ain’t size appropriate to gauge. The American sixteens were slapped on a 12 gauge frame unlike the Europeans.

OK

Well, I can say it's lighter than the 870. It is slimmer than a comparative 311 in 12 gauge, due to smaller diameter tubes I reckon.

Haven't ever been to Europe. I've got a Toyota pickup though.

My 16 gauge Fultons weighed 7-1/4lbs and the 16 Wingmaster was a bit more. I agree that the tubes being smaller give the gun a better feel but the American Arms 16 gauge o/u at 6-1/4 lbs was what a 16 should be for an upland gun.

Ok pete, I was being a bit of a smart apple there. Yes, I've read about the delightful Euro doubles, but I do not own one, and I don't know if I've ever swung one. Due to the cost involved, I doubt I ever will. I was in a shop in central PA a few years ago, you had to buzz in, like a private club. They opened up, (I was with my brother inlaw, a serious claybird guy, they knew him) and the place had doubles worth more than my truck(s), combined.

I had to search "American Arms" and did not come up with much. My actual knowledge of shotguns, especially doubles, is pretty limited. A shotgun for me has been a pump since my teen years, mostly to hammer turkeys.Seems like I read that one reason the svelte doubles are so common across the Atlantic, is the loads is/were lighter.

I reread the OP, and agree that a 12 ga is the way to go for the question posed.
I am not a fan of the 3-1/2 in guns, and believe for deer and turkey the 3" shell is plenty. Heck the 2-3/4 short mags do fine in most guns. The 1100 has a world of fans. It and its relative, the 11-87, have diminished in popularity a bit suffering to the popularity of the high dollar inertia guns, but the line is still well thought of. The 1100's are common here in the used market for reasonable prices. A cleanup and new seals and I bet most anyone would run fine.

Back