the setup

tdoyka

i've killed alot of whitetails over the years. i've used the 243 up to the 45-70(no magnums). and for the past 10 years(+/) i find myself liking the single shot. i do like the 6.5 creedmoor and the 444 marlin in a tc encore with MGM barrels.i can do either long range(6.5 cm) or short range(444 marlin), but i've always felt that i "needed" a 50 caliber. do i have to have a 50 cal? no. do i need a 50 cal.? not really. but what the heck, i might as well have a 50 cal. than not have one.

so i started off finding just what kind of 50 do i want. the first thing, i am disabled. i had a stroke about 5 years ago that left me with a right arm/leg that don't work too much and a huge speech problem. so that definitely takes the 50 bmg out of the question!!!:D another question is what type of rifle should it be used for? and what kind of powder that goes roughly 1200-1400fps(400-500gr boolit, yes it will be a cast boolit) can be used?

so after about a month, i narrowed down my choices to a 50-70 government, 50-90 sharps and the 500 linebaugh. the 50-90 sharps will be a little to big for me and it is expensive! the 50-70govt is possibly the best cartridge out there, but black powder(which i do use in muzzleloaders) is without a doubt, the best thing for the 50-70. but i do like my smokeless alot. so the 50-70 is out.

that leaves the 500 linebaugh. yes it can use unique, trail boss, 2400 and tite group. it probably can be used for black powder, but i still have some more research to do. brass can be had from starline and dies, well they're a little expensive, but you only go around once. there are a number of manufactures that can make a .512" boolit. i am thinking of either a 425gr fn or a 525gr wfn boolit.

rifles, welp, i've gotta get another MGM. it will be either a heavy factory or a full bull barrel. i think it will be a peep sight but it will be ready for a scope. the boolit can go roughly 125 - 150 yards to kill a deer. and i haven't decided on the barrel length, somewhere from 23 - 27".

luckily, the utv and primos trigger sticks will do the heavy liftin. :D i'm just the trigger man;).

the 500 s&w was first used, but the 500L does it with less recoil than the 500 s&w. and besides, linebaugh just sounds cooler...;)

i just have to find out the barrel length and what peep sight should i use?

Back