The Scout Rifle Goes to War

The accompanying picture shows a KLA member in Kosovo carrying what looks to be the unmistakable stock of a Steyr Scout rifle. Boy, news of innovative firearms designs sure travels fast! This was taken from USA Today, 10/15, page 10A.
Rich

kosovo2.jpg

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited 10-26-98).]

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited 10-26-98).]

You sure thats not just a picture of the Doswell, VA Turkey Shoot last weekend?

Kidding...

I am having a hard time fathoming that such a weapon as the S.S. would end up over there in the hands of a soldier. Last one I saw was about 2500 bucks. $2,500.00 rifle for a KLA soldier... Amazing.

I'm not sure I'll wake up tomorrow morning. But I reported it as accurately as I saw it. The fact that the circumstances are so unusual is specifically what mekes it newsworthy.
Rich Lucibella

Unusual? Hmmm... dunno guys. Little wars are usually funded by deep pockets. Either the pix is of a prepped and panned poster boy for propaganda shots by the media, or someone is actually bankrolling and supporting them with 1st class materiel. Check out the matching camo on the jacket, shirt and T-shirt. Whaddya bet he's wearing matching boxers?
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited 10-26-98).]

The pic is accurate. Broadcast news about NATO/UN hesitation in using force options in that AO showed KLA personnel amongst a patrol formation carrying the Scout.

Besides, if governments will pay $10k for toilet seats and hammers this would be the deal of the century
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited 10-27-98).]

Take a closer look , the guy behind our friend with the SS is wearing a Washington Redskins Cap!!

Of course, I got in late last night....

I certainly hope his choice of combat teams is better than his choice of sports teams.
wink.gif

Do you ever get the feeling you are being duped?

The hat does indeed look like Washington Redskins.

That is definitely a Steyr scout. The price isn't what bothers me, but where would they get such a thing?

Hmmm...

ereikes,
With all the photojournalists on the scene, I don't think USA Today had to make one up...also don't think they're that smart.

Wartime barter is a long standing tradition (even among enemies). Perhaps the hat was a payment for the picture?
Rich

Just read Cooper's Commentaries No.12 Vol 6 ... The Immortal Jeff Cooper mentioned this very photo...
Our Rich beat Cooper to it, and Cooper was the designer!
50 Cool points Rich.

Back