The S&W 627-8

Got the same gun in .41 Magnum. Other than fit and finish (both which are second to none!), don't ask how it shoots. Have not! I'm afraid to. Have other offering from the Performance Center in .357 Magnum and they are all excellent.

Only problem I see is that they weigh a lot for carry for most people and they are very pricey.

Robert

Is the reason you are afraid is because it's so pricey, or is your model a special model?

Are there any other revolvers more suited towards CCW?

I am looking into a Ruger SP101 spurless with 2 3/4" bbl as a backup gun.

Can anyone testify to this?

I don't know that I'd call it small. Been lusting after one of these since I bought a 627 PC V-Comp. Regardless of barrel length this is still an N Frame. I keep covering up the front two inches on mine to approximate a 2&5/8th inch barrel only to find regardless of barrel length,this is one large handgun. Having said that,the V-Comp is a most remarkable weapon. Fit and finish are extraordinary. Eight rounds of .357 Magnum and deadly accurate. I'd assume the shorter barreled version would be the same.
Ronin

Ronin,
Your assumption is correct (from my experience). The 2 5/8" PC 627 is deadly accurate. I have been carrying .357 snubs for over 20 years. S&W 66, Colt Python and Ruger SP101 (Weigand Conversion). The PC 627 isw the most accurate and it holds 8 rounds. I switched the front and rear sights between my 2 5/8" and 5" 627 PC's because I like the colored ramp on the 5" for target work. I also switched the wood handle from the 5" to the 2 5/8" to provide better control. If you want lighter weight and easy of carry, go with the Ruger SP101. If you want (what I consider) the best .357 snub made, go with the S&W 627 PC. The attached scan is provided to show what I mean.
Bubba
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=314358&a=2334130&p=48275414&f=0

Makoe,

Afraid, like in not much into pain. :)

S&W657small.JPG

Robert

FRF2,
That's some pair ya got there!:D This constant temptaton can't be good for my psyche. I really make a serious attempt to justify my purchases but at times it's like trying to stop a runaway freight train. I have a feeling impulse will eventually win,regardless. The grips on the 627 snub looked prety good and functional with the checkering. What didn't you like about them?
Ronin

Ronin,
The S&W factory grips are (IMHO) a fine compromise between size and control. The only time that I had to use a .357 on the job it required me to shoot out the window of my patrol car using my left hand while trying to drive with my right hand. No amount of weak hand practice behind a barricade is the same thing. Ever since that time I have been very concerned about having a solid grip on any gun that I use.
Happy shooting and safe driving,
Bubba

Guy at the PC says they go for about $950. Not sure if that's their list or what the're going for at the dealers. I'm sure you can get a better price though.
Ronin

Prices

Dealer cost on the V-comps I bought were $689,
give or take. Add $25 shipping,and 5 to 10% if your dealer loves you and there 'ya are. I assume
the 627-8 snub would be in the same ball park.
If it's a Horton gun add 75-90 to help pay for his
jet...dewey

Get Stainless and put up those 'BLUES' !

RONIN-
I've picked up Stl. guns in my 4 fav calibers and
retired the pre-'57s to the closet.3 reason:

1) There are VERY few parts left for repairs
2) Each scratch costs you $50 , at least, and
burns my buns.
3) Stl is much easier to clean and does away with
anal retentive syndrom leading to mad dashes
home to clean them before they are ruined
4) WE ALL NEED to buy guns as often as possible.
Here in Carilona we can only get ONE A Month
so I do my part by camping at mt FFL's door
so I can get mine ASAP and not tie-up the
NICS.

Can't finish this now as I MUST go make sure that the K22 Outdoorsman has enough water as I'll be at the range most of the day...dewey

Back