The Ruger American Rifle

Just a sign of the times and what people want these days; Ruger is just trying to capture more of the entry level market and the garage gunsmith. There are a lot of first time buyers who don’t want to mess with trying to figure out the used market, and they will buy these. If they offer them in a youth sized stock I imagine they would be able to sell quite a few to parents looking to buy their kids first hunting rifle.

These rifles appear to have a barrel nut so switch barrels will be in the future. The safety in the trigger shoe isn't needed but everyone wants the much adored Savage Accutrigger, so now Mossberg and Marlin offer one why not the new Ruger. Plus Ruger has always liked to lawyer proof things so they won't adjust lower than 3 lbs.

Unlike Tikka they use two different length actions so that is nice, I still don't like the recoil lug being attached to the stock like the Tikka's and Axis. They hold one more round than the T/C Venture by using a rotary magazine vs. single stack. The will use a standard base and ring set up vs. the Ruger rings which is nice as well.

I'll be darned. They DO have a barrel nut setup like Savage. I missed that the first time I looked at the pics. I'm just betting whether well made or not that these will be good shooters.

Goes back to Bills saying, and I quote loosely, " a quality firearm for a weeks pay", for a LOT of people.

These new rifles may be cheaper but I would imagine they will be shooters. Ruger has one of the best customer service dept in the business. I may have to look in to one of these.

note that the referenced thread about Ruger's new rifle was closed fairly quick. Guess we can't discuss the pros and cons of a new rifle here without straying into personal attacks. Sad.

My take is that Ruger has produced a quality rifle using modern manufacturing methods. A lot of features are included, such as bedding, hammer forged barrel and a nifty rotary magazine.
I will be looking to pick up one soon, in .308.

Taylor,
Not QUITE everybody wants the "Savage" trigger. :)

I'll put up with a Glock trigger on Glocks, but not on a rifle.
Worked with the updated Savage Scout, quite probably would'a kept it had it not been for that trigger.
Same with a Marlin .22 here that's otherwise nice, but not staying.

Irrational, probably, but I dislike the squiggly two-trigger feel of the things. :)
Denis

Taylor,
Not QUITE everybody wants the "Savage" trigger.

I hear you there, I guess I haven't been able to type well enough for my sarcasam to come through. I buy Stevens 200 rifles or older pre-accutrigger rifles when I use them for projects. If I want a better trigger I replace them with a Northand Shooter Supply tuned 3 screw or a Sharp Shooter Supply competition trigger. I don't like the feel of the trigger safety either and don't want it on a rifle, I don't shoot pistols very often and have never fired a Glock.

Yep, I like one trigger on my rifles, not two. :)
But, I've been known to be outa step with other aspects of the modern world, so what do I know?
Denis

NO Accu triggers for me either!!!!!!!!

To all the folks who love the I wish "more power to you". But to me, they just feel like a creepy trigger and I refuse to own one.

Now that fact plus the fact that I think 30-06 and 270 win deserve and perform much better with a 24" barrel, I won't be looking to purchase one of these:D

I like the Savage trigger. Have several of them and shoot them well. I admit that it's different from other triggers, most especially the Remington trigger on my 700.

I'll take mine with the Accutrigger, please.

Man a lot of hate for a rifle that hasn't even hit the market yet.

They are an entry level rifle meant for people seeing if they like hunting or shooting. What is wrong with that?

If it gets more people to be gun owners I am all for it. As should everyone else. I can't believe some of the attitude around this rifle and others.

8 years ago I purchased a Remington 700 VLS in 223 I paid $600 + $500 for the scope and $100 for the rings and bases. That is $1200 all together. It took me 3 months to save the money to get the scope. Now that same rifle with nothing different at the same store is $975 + $500 for scope and $100 for rings and bases. That is $1575 for the same rifle a few years later.

Would I buy an entry level rifle. No because I am not an entry level shooter. Would I belittle someone new to the sport for buying this or the savage NO. I would however explain the lack of quality in the cheap remington rifle.

I think this rifle will be of Ruger quality at a price many can afford. Not everyone in the USA makes $250k a year and can afford the best of everything. Some people have to work hard for their money and they supplement their food and cut costs with hunting.

As for the rifle its self I like the looks better than any other out there. I like the design features over the others as well. I think the stock on this rifle out shines any other budget rifle on the market.

If it gets more people to be gun owners I am all for it. As should everyone else. I can't believe some of the attitude around this rifle and others.

I agree 100% with your thinking. I don't hate anything that gets people out shooting. I'd buy this rifle if the price is right, especially if a .223 bolt face comes out, or if it is cheap enough I want to build my daughter a .250-3000 Savage. I don't want it to cost me as much as a full blown custom and I can do this myself at my bench. Plus I imagine you might see some aftermarket stocks come out for this rifle.

I was initially upset when I saw this, I was thinking it was a replacement for the Ruger M77 Hawkeye. If they make this as just an aditional rifle I will be fine with that.
I will state the reasons, that I do not like it.
1. I dont like the ejection port, I prefer an open top Bolt action Rifle.
2. I really dont like Plunger Ejectors, this being a Push Feed I assume it has one, Im not pertucularly crazy about push feed either.
3. Im one of the shooters, that actually likes a little resistance in a triger, I dont want a wing on my triger either.
4. I am not a fan of plastic stocks, I do like laminate however.
5, I dont like detachable magazines on bolt action rifles, I like the machined feed rails that you have to do away with in order to use a detachable magazine. I think it will lead to failures in the field.
That said, I think this rifle will still function well for the average hunter, and if its just an inexpensive option for those who would otherwise not be able to afford a rifle I am all for it. :)

Man a lot of hate for a rifle that hasn't even hit the market yet.

They are an entry level rifle meant for people seeing if they like hunting or shooting. What is wrong with that?

8 years ago I purchased a Remington 700 VLS in 223 I paid $600 + $500 for the scope and $100 for the rings and bases. That is $1200 all together. It took me 3 months to save the money to get the scope. Now that same rifle with nothing different at the same store is $975 + $500 for scope and $100 for rings and bases. That is $1575 for the same rifle a few years later.

Would I buy an entry level rifle. No because I am not an entry level shooter. Would I belittle someone new to the sport for buying this or the savage NO. I would however explain the lack of quality in the cheap remington rifle.

I think this rifle will be of Ruger quality at a price many can afford. Not everyone in the USA makes $250k a year and can afford the best of everything. Some people have to work hard for their money and they supplement their food and cut costs with hunting.

As for the rifle its self I like the looks better than any other out there. I like the design features over the others as well. I think the stock on this rifle out shines any other budget rifle on the market.

I said pretty much the same thing in the other thread that got locked. Just classic elitism.

Back