The restricted air gun.

Little-e

As the Director of Security for a company that sells products that will be very desireable if everything goes to poop at the turn of the century, I have been looking for non-lethal weapons to protect our assets. I found a wonderful looking CO2 powered rifle that fires a .69 rubber ball at 300 fps. Unfortunately I also found out because of the caliber, it is considered an NFA weapon so if I want one I have to pay the tax and do the paperwork.

I guess the gun grabbers think it makes more sense for me to buy shotguns to defend my company rather than paintball guns.

The ignorance is astounding.

Somone is selling you a bill of goods. Paintguns do not fall under NFA. I've owned a few and never had to fill out any paperwork of any kind. Only money was required to walk out the door or have one mail-ordered and I live in Kalifornia!

The problem must be that the barrel is rifled in the particular gun you looked at, but I don't even think that would do it.
NFA does not automatically regulate all large bore weapons as destructive devices. .69 cal (or.68 which is waht paintball guns are) is about the size of a 20 gauge.. and certainly all 12 gauges are not NFA weapons....

as noted above, I wasn't aware that NFA regulated ANY air powered guns at all.

either way, Look into Paintball guns.

They are completey legal almost everywhere and fire 68 calibre paint balls at over 300 fps.
The paint balls sting like a mother... I'm sure that a .68 calibre nylon or plastic ball would leave a nasty welt... unprotected headshots might cause concussion.

There is a company that is apparently trying to market paintball guns in just this way, unless this weapon has a rifled barrel and is LE only:
www.ozarkmtns.com/less-lethal/riot.htm

Note that this company sells the Platic ammo, which I assume could be used in any paintball gun.

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited May 22, 1999).]

Rob,
That is the very company that I talked to. Their response was it had to do with the caliber and did not mention the rifling. Maybe the guy I talked to was confused.

Sounds like they only want to sell to LEAs.

Consider purchasing a Paintball gun and a bunch of his pellets.

------------------
-Essayons

Paintball guns...
Love them...

I have had many that have rifled barrels. NFA? I dont think so - it is not a gun. Its a MARKER. Rifled or not - there is no regulation on them at all.

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

While we are on the topic.....

What is the NFA regulation on Destructive devices? I know there is a certain point where a barrel can be smooth, but not rifled (for firearms..) what is the cut-off ?? The widespread use of rifled 12 gauge barrels for hunting with slugs must indicate that it is larger than 12gauge....

------------------
-Essayons

Back