The Remington .410

Bud Helms

I want you guys to know I tried the search function for some questions I have, but no luck. So here goes.

I have found a Remington 1100 and an 870 chambered in .410. I've wanted one each of these little shotguns for the longest time ... can't explain it. Yes, I have a couple of real 12 ga shotguns, but these little guys really intrigue me.

The 870 has an elevated rib with a mid-barrel small aiming dot on it. It is parkerized, but has a few rust spots on the left side of the action. Seems to function okay. I've only handled it at the gun shop, not shot it. Cheap wood. Asking price is $180.

The 1100 is pristine. Nice wood. Shiny bluing. 98% overall. Also vent rib. (What's with the vent rib on .410s?) Haven't shot it either, same gun shop. Asking price is $475!

Could I trouble you gents for opinions about these two "values"? I realize that without seeing them, it's difficult, but humor me and assume my descriptions are accurate and there are no other things wrong with them.

I am obliged for any advice and opinions.

Sensop, a Remington Model 870 at 80% condition chambered in .410 bore would be worth about $175-$180. A Remington Model 1100 also in .410 at 98% would be worth about $475-$500. You didn't state the % of condition on the 870 but the price sounds about right on the 1100. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

Thanks, Steven,

Actually 75-80% is about right for the 870. I'll have to make him an offer. It sounds like he's priced close to market then.

Nothing wrong with .410's, I have a bunch of them and love them. I have an 870 skeet gun and I am still looking for an 1100. I mainly shoot my Winchester Mod 42 and use it every dove season here in AZ.

It sounds like you are looking at a regular 1100 and an 870 Express. They made the express in .410 and it has plain wood and a bead blasted and blued finish. If it is indeed an Express, they are allot cheaper than the 870 Wingmaster with the polish blued finish.

more .410s

We just bought a collection of over a hundred .410s. All sorts... From farm type single barrels to Win M42 factory Skeet guns. Fine guns and very popular as we are finding out.

Kilroy...
...was here

Since .410 870s have entered limited production prices have skyrocketed. Last Express I saw NIB at a gunshow was $475 and the guy would not budge one dollar on the price, I know cuz I had cash and was trying hard to but it! The 870 Wingmaster is Remington's polished blue version of the same gun, they still catalog a .410 but I think it's pretty expensive if you can even find one. I'm guessing what you saw was a 870 Express, they look parkerized but they have a bead-blasted finish and are blued. They can be refinished and reblued pretty cheaply. The stock wood is probably birch. Provided everything else is in good condition I'd buy it after trying to talk the guy down a few bucks. Does it have a RemChoke or is it fixed? -- Kernel

Back