The Rebirth Of My M16

VUPDblue

Last year I bought an M16. It was actually an AR conversion done by Sendra pre-1986. I always had wanted an M16 and thought one would forever be out of my reach. Well, it just so happened that I found one that I could afford. She wasn't perfect, but she cought my eye anyway. Her journey to perfection is almost over, and so I thought I'd share the "rebirth" if you will...

Here is how she looked the day I brought her home. Note the rough selector stop and the diagonal imperfections in the anodizing.
attachment.php

I sent her off to M60Joe to fix the selector stop and to do some work in the very tight magwell. M60Joe does excellent work. Here she is after M60Joe got done with her:
attachment.php

Attachments

• M16rep-1.jpg
    M16rep-1.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 1,650
Last edited:
Next, the employee who did the conversion conspicuously forgot to add the "Auto" marking near the selector. I sent her out to Orion arms to get that marking added. While he had it, he went ahead and added all three markings to the right side as well. When I got her back from Orion, I sent her off to US Anodizing for removal of the old coating and a fresh application of Type II hardcoat anodizing that is MilStd. in the current MilSpec black color. US A also removed the diagonal scratches around the selector. I got these pics today from US A showing the receiver "in the white" before it went into the tank:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Sendra naked1.JPG
    Sendra naked1.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 1,608
  • Sendra naked2.JPG
    Sendra naked2.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 1,587
Last edited:
US Anodizing sent me some pics of the finished product. I couldn't be happier and I would highly recommend them if you need any anodizing done.
attachment.php

Attachments

• sendradone1.jpg
    sendradone1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,694
Last edited:
Sendra

Your rear take down pin hole looks a bit egged out?

Sendra made the semi auto receiver, they did not do the conversion to full auto.

Whoever did the extra markings on the side of the magazine well which I could not read most likely did the conversion.

David, you're right about the conversion. I currently have a FOIA request pending to get the scoop on who/what/when/where. As for the hole being egged out, it is just the angle of the pics. When it got worked on, it was spec'd and everything checked out OK.

Here's the done deal. OK, she's all done now. Here is a pic of the setup I think I'll use the most. It's a Spike's Tactical .22lr upper with 5.5" barrel and a Tactical Innovations "Quest" suppressor. The optic is a FakePoint and the stock is a Magpul CTR. The only other accessory is a set of KNS anti-walk pins. I went for a 'test drive' yesterday and she runs as good as ever. Takes about 1.5 seconds to dump a 30 round mag of .22lr
attachment.php

Attachments

• sendra22.jpg
    sendra22.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 15,935
Excellent looking gun. I hope to get a dedicated .22LR upper for mine one of these years. I currently get by with a Ciener M16 .22LR conversion.

Yeah, it's a red dot. It's obviously an Aimpoint clone. It works surprisingly well and it has always held its zero for me. The dot actually looks like a dot and it is way more cost effective to put the $80 clone on a .22 than a real $350 Aimpoint.

Back