The Question is How Much

KEYBEAR

Ruger 4,5/8 barrel at 25 yards is shooting 4 inches high . Rear sight it down all the way . How much will 1/16 of an inch out on the front sight lower it ?

I would like to move the rear sight up some also later .

Filing off the front sight raises the poi, not lowers it.

-TL

If you meant to add to the front sight height, instead of to file it down, 1/16" is about 9.5" lower at 25 yards, assuming 6" sight radius.

I am loading 240gr. lead at around 1000 fps only . Yes I need to add to the front sight . Looking to use the adjustment in the rear sight as now it is as low as it will go . Would like to end up with the rear sight in the middle of the adjustment .

You know the important stuff already.
Don't underestimate the ability of load changes to alter the POI.
Bullet weight and burn rate!

Now,honestly,if its 4 in high at 25 yds,its a perfect 6 oclock hold on an 8 in bull,or steel plate.You'd still be on a beer can.

Where is it at 50 yds?

On figuring "How Much" its really simple.The unit of measure that matters is your sight radius.
You will probably measure that in inches.That works fine.Then you need to know the range to the target in inches.You have to have a common unit to work with.25 yds,36 in to a yard. So,25 times 36 equals 900 inches.
I'm going to guess your sight radius at 7 inches.You have to measure it.

So,we divide the sight radius in inches,into the range in inches.900 divided by 7 equals 128.57. If you want to round that to 130,no big deal.

So it is 130 sight radius "units " to the target.

That meansany change you make to the sights will be multiplied 130 times,approx.

So,.010,ten 1 thousandths,would be 1 .3 in on target. Then .030,thirty thousandths,would give you 3.9 in on target. .03125 is 1/32 in.Pretty darn close.

You probably have 1 MOA clicks. At 25 yards,it would be 4 clicks for 1 inch.

If .010 is good for 1.3 in,I'd say .010 is pretty much good for 5 clicks.

Myself,I can see being up 5 clicks for flexibility,but I'd want most of my adj left for longer range.I would not center my adj at 25 yds,myself.

Ideally,a .040 change is what willgive you what you want.

But,.020 is not so much.That would give you a 2.6 in change,bottomed out.

.020 off the top of the rear sight blade can work.So,bottomed,you would only be 1.4 in high at 25 yd.Probably real good at 50.

Don't forget,my numbers are based on a wild guess of your sight radius.Measure and refigure.

HiBC
Thank You just what I need .

This Ruger is my shooter is was rebuilt just the way I wanted it . (right or wrong)
I have a small range in the back yard and shoot paper and steel .
Mostly 25 or 50 yards with the Ruger . Also 100 yard and 200 yard benches for Rifle . The Ruger is an old Model 44 Mag with a 4.5/8 barrel and great trigger and coated Gloss Black . The gun is holding up very well I started shooting it this spring and have shot around 6,000 cast bullets so far .

My plates are 10 inch and I am looking at smaller targets now . Putting up some 4 inch plates tomorrow . This is the reason I need to work on the sights .

So,maybe .015,or about 1/64 off the top of the rear blade(not a big change)
Should get you about 2 in high at 25 yds.A 6 oclock hold on a 4 in plate.

Once again,check your sight radius,do your own math.

A friend Put a bead of weld on the top of the sight yesterday . Today I filed it down shot it some and cleaned it up and put a little paint on it .

First shot at 10 yards was two inches low (great) . Up a full turn on the rear sight put it close (still a little low) One more half turn and good to go .

In the end we added .o18 to the sight . It is done looks good shoots great .

Back