the PTA meets HCI

• Thread starter Thread starter dZ
  • Start date Start date

dZ

an email list acquaintence from Santa Monica, CA, made a trip to a PTA meeting for a briefing from HCI to the soccer moms

here is the transcript:
http://thematrix.acmecity.com/one/40/pta.html

(29:51) 029 - Monique: " OK, This is one of the things it is called 'someone you know'.
And normally when we go into the schools we go in for a six week period and we like to
go in 'ya know, it is not just a one shot program. Because you have to do these things
over and over again and it is like I said 'conflict resolution', 'anger management' these
types of things are involved. This particular role play what we are gonna do is You (one
of the volunteers) are at your house with your friends and uh You show Them (the other
two) your fathers gun. You know you are all getting bored and you show them your
fathers gun. Does anyone have a pen? (pause to retrive pen) This is the gun! Now
normally when we do these role plays we don't use a real gun we don't use a toy gun
because kids tend to be fascinated with guns. So, we always some kind of other object.
This will be your gun. Now I have three rules. 1. Is that you must have a beginning
middle and end to the role-play. Which means that you don't want it to go over, you
know over than it needs to go. 2. That you're all young children, your not Adults. There
are no adults in the role-play. So, they may be ten years old..ten years old. And 3. You
want to try to get out the situation as safe as possible. That is your role in this role play.
And your (audience) goal in this role play is to see if indeed they get out of this situation
as safely as possible. Got it? So, beginning middle and end, there are no adults in the
role-play, and you two want to see how you can get out the situation as safely as
possible, and you are going to tell me if they do. Pay close attention and action!

Playing the game -- "Please, 'mam, don't point that "gun" at me. My daddy told me never to point a gun at anybody. Eddie Eagle says I shouldn't touch it and that I should call a grown up and tell them."

Then ask the hostess to instead role-play a woman defending herself from a rapist or other BG. Would she use the "gun" or just plead for mercy? [g]

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

(13:40) 012 - The third important safety standard for handguns are what we call personalized guns, what some people call smart guns. And I have to say I took this
line from my boss, I don't think any guns are smart but I can tell you what a dumb gun is. A gun that a three year-old can pick up and and pull the trigger and
shoot...that's a dumb gun! That is a ridiculous design. Why in the world to they make a gun that is that easy to fire? A gun that criminal can wrestle away from a
police officer and use against that police officer, that's a dumb gun! It is a bad design. As soon as it is taken away from its lawful owner it shouldn't be able to fire.
And this isn't Star wars technology. There are already...Colt and Smith & Wesson are already developing this but they are doing it very slowly. We believe every
gun sold in America, particularly every handgun should be require to only be able to be fired by the authorized owners of it. They have fingerprint identification on
handguns now. (sounds of incredulous disgusted from the audience) They have a magnetized ring and only the person wearing that ring will send a signal to the gun
and the gun will able to fire, or a bracelet, or a like. They have a variety of this technology and they are not putting it on the handguns. I like to make the analogy of
cars. Because in the...we have seen a lot of violence with car accidents and crashes. And over the last few decades we've gotten better seatbelts, airbags, anti lock
breaks, crashworthy bumpers, child safety seats - boy when I was a kid we were able to crawl all over the car (modest giggles) - all of those in the last few decades.
There hasn't been nothing on handguns in over a hundred years, technology to make handguns safer, nothing!. Why is that? Handguns are the only product in
America that are exempt from Federal safety regulations. When they established the consumer products safety commission in Washington the gun lobby was strong
enough to say 'Well, this is ok but don't...no guns. Guns aren't part of this'. The only product that was specifically taken out, so there is no federal regulatory
authority over guns. If eleven kids are killed in cribs with accidents they will recall the cribs and make the redesign them and put the slats closer together, eleven kids
a year in cribs. There are eleven kids a DAY killed with guns! And there are no Federal safety standards on guns whatsoever. This is something we would really like
the PTA to do....to encourage California to become the first state to require handguns sold here to have safety standards, load indicators, magazine disconnects and
this more advanced technology that only the authorized users can fire the weapon.

Back