The Perfect Gun Collection

Here in the UK we have some very restrictive gun laws that assume that we are not adults. I am in the process of applying for a variation to my firearms permit to allow me to add other black powder revolvers to my collection. I currently have a Euroarms Rogers & Spencer .44 and a Pietta Remington Army .36 in stainless steal.

I am now trying to decide what types and calibres to have added to my permit. I would like a varied collection as I am really getting into black powder guns and cowboy shooting. I am one of these sad types who likes cleaning and working on guns as much as shooting them. It costs the same to add one type as it dose to add ten so I want to do my homework now and only go through the process once.

Unfortunately we are limited here to black powder.

Any suggestions, pictures and suppliers would be gratefully received. I am interested in what other people think makes for a good collection.

A few Colt repros would be a good place to start.

The .36 caliber 1851 Navy was the most widely used model and a classic- favorite of Wild Bill Hickok and others.

The .31 caliber 1849 Pocket Model is fun to play with.

One of the hand held cannons like a Dragoon in .44 caliber is powerfully impressive.

For beauty, the .44 caliber 1860 Army or the .36 caliber 1862 Pocket Police take top honors.

As far as sources, I don't know how international orders work, but one of the biggest suppliers here is Dixie Gun Works. Uberti, Pietta, and Pedersoli all manufacture the reproduction guns for various companies.

For non-reproductions, the Ruger Old Army is probably the finest cap and ball revolver ever made- basically a black powder version of their Blackhawk centerfire revolver.

I mostly agree with JN01.

The perfect collection must have:

1. 1847 Colt Walker .44 cal
2. 1851 Colt Navy .36 cal
3. 1858 Remington New Army .44 cal
4. Ruger Old Army .44 cal
5. 1860 Colt Army .44 cal

They are the basic guns that for me define c&b revolvers. Beyond those there are some that I think a well rounded collection should have:

1. 1848 Colt Dragoon, 1st, 2nd or 3rd model .44 cal
2. 1862 Colt Police .36 cal
3. Rogers & Spencer .44 cal
4. Starr Single Action .44 cal
5. 1849 Colt Pocket .31 cal

And a couple of personal choices of what I consider fine designs:

1. 1873 Colt Single Action Army .44 cal
2. 1861 Colt Navy .36 cal

A Fifty- Caliber Percussion Revolver from Clements Custom Guns

50caloa.jpg

.50 Cal. Ruger Old Army: This is a 5-shot conversion of the Old Army to .50 cali. Gun will shoot .490" round balls @ 1250 fps and a .488" dia. bullet @ 1150 fps using Hodgdon's Triple 7 powder. Standard features include an oversize 5 shot cyl. made to fit your individual gun, 6 3/4" full octagon barrel with integral front sight base and dovetailed sight blade, action job, and reliability modifications. We pioneered this conversion and it is only available from us. Accuracy will put some centerfire guns to shame. Bullets are available from Mt. Baldy Bullets. Stainless guns only. $995 or $1400 on our gun.

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/handguns/ruger.htm

mec collaborated on writing the linked Gunblast article about it with more pictures and details:

fiveshooter10.jpg

http://www.gunblast.com/Cumpston_ClementsFugett.htm

Single shots

Might want to look into some of the large bore single shot pistols in both percussion and flint. Variation and fun. check out Dixie gun works and Track of the Wolf for starters.

Collecting black powder revolvers.

You might find the Replica Percussion Revolver Collector's Association web site of interest. A lot of research has gone into the collecting of these revolvers over the last 10+ years. Note the number of hits that this site has accumulated over the last 10 years and you will see that there is great interest in collecting.

http://rprca.tripod.com

Back