the perfect field holster

Andrew Wyatt

I've found what is quite possibly the best field holster for the 1911, browning hi power, glock and similarly sized pistols. (the holster needs some modifications to fit a glock)

The british pattern 37 two flap hi power holster is the best field holster i've seen. It protects the gun completely and is relatively quick into action. it fits on any belt up to 3 inches wide. ( It has a large belt loop), and fits securely on a Gi pistol belt by means of wire hangers.

the one on the left in the picture below is the one i'm talking about.

hpholster.jpg

they can be had online from 25 to 50 dollars. (they're genuine WWII, so there is some competetion for them, as the re enactors use them.)

they're canvas and they fit a 1911 really well, even one with a square triggerguard and big sights.

I'm looking in to having a company produce these at a lower price so there won't be problems securing them.

I have Pattern 58 flap holsters. They are just like the one on the left in your pic, but in OD. I only paid $10, new in the wrap for them. I got mine from Charlies Surplus, they advertise in the Shotgun News. I think Cheaper than Dirt, and/or Sportsmans Guide had them too. They are great holsters. I never understood why our military holsters were never fully covered, the Europeans seem to understand what a field holster should be. These are well made and can fit a number of different belts or systems, and can even be adapted to thigh carry, with a little work. I can get a 1911 Government, or Commander in mine, without the spare mag. The Commander fits a little better. The holster was made for the High Power, so gun and extra mag go in fine.

Back