The OTHER gun... (Joseph Manton?)

govmule84

Well, m co-worker brought in his other shootin iron today. It appears to be another percussion rifle.

This is the funky one with a hexagonal bore - the bore looks to be similar to a thirty-eight - much smaller than the other one. The top of the barrel says L&K, and the side of what I would call the receiver says Joseph Manton, and under that "Warranted".

It has a brass storage slot in the side, (presumably for caps, balls, and patches?) On the other (driver) side of the stock, there is an inlaid brass star with eight points. It has blade sights.

Two triggers? With what looks like an adjusting screw of some variety? Is this a half-cock feature of some sort?

As always, any help would be appreciated - (You guys are the best. I sure am learning a little in my time on the planet!)

Pic is attached. Please forgive - it's a cell phone pic, and not a very good one. Maybe it might help, if anyone knows a thing or two 'bout it.

Thank you guys once again!

-L.

Attachments

• gun1.jpg
    gun1.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 111
Darn, I was hoping for a Whitworth, but it is not.

It is a pretty standard 19th century US muzzleloading hunting rifle, plenty for squirrel and other small game, adequate for deer if you are a good shot and a good hunter. It was built in a small shop by whoever L&K were using a lock made by the Manton family in England and imported to Pennsylvania or Kentucky. Lockmaking was precision work in those days and it was a lot easier to buy them from a maker who was set up for fine work. Larry & Kurly may have bought a factory made barrel, too; and just made the stock and installed the works. The day of one man making everything on the gun was likely gone by the time this rifle was built.

The two triggers are a "double set trigger" installation. When the gun was in good condition, you fired it by cocking the hammer, and pulling the rear trigger until it clicked into engagement. Then a very light pull on the front trigger - measured in ounces on the good ones - would actually fire the shot. The screw between the triggers is to adjust the pull from a few ounces to a few more. It may be worn or rusted and no longer work right.

Maybe somebody will recognize who trademarked their guns L&K but bear in mind that there were a lot of small operations and they did not keep good records in those days.

Hrm. Interesting. Thanks for the help, Jim. I got the impression that Manton was a pretty respected gunmaker from poking around online...But it's funny this ain't his gun. Globalization - alive and well even back then.

Any info on why in the good Lord's name there is a six-sided hole in the end of this thing?!

There were a lot of different rifling plans being looked at in those days, some with such deep grooves and wide lands as to look six sided. Not to mention wear from years of muzzleloading and cleaning with a wooden ramrod to hold grit.

Thank you for the help yet again, Jim. i walk away slightly smarter - so thank you. Any advice on good reading to sort of pick some of this up myself? I don't even know where to research this sort of thing...

Back