The Original Colt Python in Royal Blue...

DocHolliday

(No,I don't have one for sale, sorry)

a few questions:
When was it originally offered and was 'the royal blue' finish the first?

Was it available only in 6"?

Was the woodstock brown out of the factory? what type of wood?

What made the trigger action so good?

And most importantly:

1)What happenned to the Royal Blue finish, the trigger, etc. I mean at what point in time did it start to go downhill?

2)How much and how hard to find the good 'ole ones these days in good condition?

3) Any links to pictures or articles?

Thanks.

Doc,

The Python was introduced in 1955. As far as I know both 4 and 6 inch barrels were available from the start (but I'm not going to guarantee that!). The Royal Blue finish was always available (at least until recently). The Python action design requires skilled hand fitting to function. The Royal Blue finish requires a very fine polish prior to bluing. Both of these requirements are labor intensive (one of the reasons for the price) and need skill on the part of the worker. I suspect that cut backs in time allowed to produce guns (economy moves) and a drop in the skill level and/or pride of workmanship in the labor force had a lot to do with the gradual decline of the quality. As Colt got further into financial difficulties it seems their QC got steadily worse. The old ones are certainly still available (I have a 1961 vintage four inch) but the prices are going UP. And availability is getting harder as people who have them just aren't selling. As a comparison, my old Python has a better finish INSIDE than I've seen on the outside of some new guns from the cheaper manufacturers.

Python lover here. Great gun and what a beautiful blue finish. I prefer the pre-1969 models. The walnut checkered grips were phased out in 1963. The action was and is hand honed. Which makes it so great out of the box.This revolver, the New Service and Shooting Master was in the golden age of Colt.

Starting in 1957 or 58 (I think) they also made 6" Python in 38 Special for few years. I don't know if 4" 38 Specials were made too.

Check that date on when those walnut checkered grips were phased out. I suspect it was more in the 90's than in '63. My brother bought his brand new in 1977 and his came with checkered walnut grips.

4V50 Gary:

I think Ned was thinking about the original walnut stocks which was different than the later ones. The original walnut grip was different shape and had more checkering than later ones which only had checkering on the lower portions on each side. The original walnut stocks were discontinued on or about 1963 and the later ones were dropped in early 90's.

all the previous post have been pretty good info, i'll just add some filler.

the royal blue was a product of extensive progressive grades of polishing...the final stage was with a leather polishing belt and a polishing compound with the consistency of flour (sorta like polishing good auto paint with cornmeal). the nickle guns had the same polish before plating, thats why their nickle looks deeper too.

the grips on the early 2.5" models followed the pattern style of the detective specials, much smaller and without the filler behind the triggerguard. the original grips on the longer pythons were those off their official match (shooting master?) model. in the early '60's the stocks (still real wood) were finished in the fake wood/plastic look

colt made the .38 spl models for nra matches, but discontinued them when there was no gain in accuracy.

the python action is all based on camming surfaces powered by a single mainspring, everything had to be balanced just right. thats why there is more handwork involved just to make it work...the good thing is that a GOOD python smith (different from a s&w smith) can bring any python up to and beyond the original levels. (usually cost about 50% more than for a smith tune-up)

Back