The old learnig curve, Long-gun Wedges

Pahoo

In all my years of working with M/L long-guns, I have never run into a "Keyed" and "Pinned" wedge but have read about them. That is until my latest acquisition. A Pedersoli SxS in 12Ga. I knew it was going to be there as soon as I pulled the barrel. Sure enough, there it was and a pretty neat application. This SxS only has one wedge that you really can't afford to lose. ;)

I only mention this because I think this application would be suited on a double wedge application where the two fight each other and one will lose and fall out. As an example, the Lyman Great Plains. Basically the wedge has a slotted shank and the stock channel has a pin, that rides in the slot and keep the wedge from falling out. It may come loose and kind of hang out but your will never lose it. I have a friend of mine who always carries an extra wedge. I suspect that I will be converting his and mine, before next hunting season...:)

Be Safe !!!

Browning Mountain rifle.

I think the Baker also had pinned wedges.
Gary, that is good to know and I have found that the Browning Mountain rifle has two "keyed" wedges but no capture pins. I don't quite understand that ... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

My Hawken has pinned keys but it was hand built. The "wedges" on rifles really aren't wedges they're the key part. On a double keyed barrel one is always longer than the other so carrying one spare doesn't make any sense. The pins that hold the keys in are the capture pins.

Last edited:
An easy fix on the wedge is to give it a slight bend in the middle, this will create friction and keep it in place. Had that issue with my TC Renegade when I first bought it over 12 years ago....been problem free ever since.

I like (insist) on having them captive. less to keep track of and on doubles don't have to not get the right one in the correct slot.

Back