The next step: Flintlocks?

DennisCA

Now that I have a percussion rifle and pistol, I may want to get a a flintlock rifle and pistol (it may be awhile don't know when - down the road through). I can get a flintlock rifle from the place when I got my percussion gun but they don't carry flintlock pistols - any suggestions?

Last edited:
Traditions Trapper flintlock pistol. I bought mine last year during Cabelas big Christmas sale (or post-Christmas, can't remember).

I had so much fun with it that I now have 6 flintlock rifles...

I like the way you think !!!

All directly proportional to your budget .... ;)
Pedersoli
Lyman
Traditions

I have an older Pedersoli Kentuckian that I really enjoy shooting. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

I'd go to the Mountain Man meets and find something that is used. BTW, used smokepoles tend to be cheap at the Rendezvous at Whittington Center (NM).

I wouldnt say cheap. The cheap ones usually are just barely holding together with rust :D That or you look down the bores and they are rusted up pretty good and have a high price tag.

I did get a good trade one year. The guy still has the rifle too! I traded a .45cal invest arms "hawken" for a .50cal cva plainsman flintlock. Wish I had kept that flinter as it was super fast and accurate for such a simple rifle.

inexpensive is what I always mean when someone says cheap. Theres no cheap ronnyvoo guns unless they are REALLY bad and just parts. Last year there was a NIB traditions hawken.. When I saw NIB on tag and then looked at the bore and around the nipple, I laughed. Then I REALLY laughed when I saw the price.

Once in a while you'll get a good deal but it is not often.

Last year there was a lady selling bear grease for patch lube. I gladly handed over my $15 for 3 bottles. Much easier than bear hunting as I found out later on :eek:

I guess for me getting a flinter would depend on what part of that silly state you live in. Many years ago I spent a Winter in Stockton and Modesto and had I been a field with a flinter a pointy stick would have been better then a club with wet powder.

Last edited:
out here you never know what the weathers going to do . might be sunny and 70 deg one minute , raining the next , then blowing snow shortly there after .
learn to take care of your flintlock and it will not let you down . neglect it and you will a nice looking club .

As to quality , I would also put Pedersoli at the top of the list . But frankly that doesn’t say much .
Their quality guns , any more can cost as much as a lower end semi custom piece .
If you drop down to say the Hatfield , Blue Ridge…… type rifle , well then its frankly a role of the dice and you can run into bad locks , bad barrels , cracked stocks .
Costs for the repair parts are just as much or more then quality US parts . Case in point . The lock for a Blue Ridge , cost as much or more then one of Jim Chambers locks when frankly it should be much less .
Barrels are the same . You could buy a Rice , Getz , Colerain or GM for the cost of a Pedersoli barrel .
Never mind that if the stock splits , replacing its going to cost you more then a complete parts set for a semi custom rifle .
Set down some time and add up the parts cost for that 3-400 dollar rifle and you will find real quick that you could have a very nice custom gun made for the parts cost .

In the end , buy the best you can afford . Even if you end up with say a CVA or Traditions . Consider replacing the lock as an up grade . You wont regret it

Last edited:
Back