The new Springfield SAR 8

ONewman

Anyone have any feedback on this rifle yet? Looking for input as I've seen one and was pretty impressed with looks. All input appreciated.

Initially I thought it was built on some stamped reciever, but from the photos (and I have yet to see one in person), it appears to be that aluminum montrosity again, but better assembled and finished. I'll buy an AR or FN-FAL first.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Too bad Springfield didn't build these new
SAR-8 on the stamped steel style receivers.
I probably would've bought one if it was the
original style. I have to agree that the finish appears to be better than the other clones. Recently at a gun show saw a SW-3
from Special Weapons. The fit and finish looked really good though.

ONewman,

I purchased a SAR-8 last week. I would highly recommend it. As mentioned above, it has the aluminum receiver that gets some HK purists foaming at the mouth, but its a fine gun nonetheless.

It comes with Springfield's limited lifetime warranty and appears to be extremely well made. If you've been looking for an HK clone, it doesn't get any better than this.

Unfortunately, it looks like they won't be around long:

U.S. GOVERNMENT TERMINATES SALES OF SAR RIFLES
The United States government has informed Springfield Armory that we are no longer be able to offer our popular SAR 8 and SAR 4800 rifles.

Comments should be sent to ATF at P.O. Box 50860, Washington D.C. 20091.

(From the Springfield Web Site.)

Springfield is slow to update their web site.
That info was regarding the true pre-ban Sar 8's imported from Greece. These new style SAR-8 have receivers made in the US as well as certain internal components. This configuration allows SA to make these new style SAR-8's.

See link:www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/semi4sale.cgi?read=10100

[This message has been edited by Sea Bass (edited December 13, 1999).]

I recently saw one at a gunshow. When compared to the other aluminum reciever copies, the Springfield looks to be a much higher quality. The other aluminum copies look like junk. Of course its price reflects that. The lowest price I have seen has been $999. Springfield has a good reputation, in my book, so I think it is a viable alternative to a real H&K. It is though, easily distinguishable from a genuine 91. I have yet to see an SW-3, but I have read positive feedback about them. I would love to see a comparison between the accuracy of the SAR-8 and the SW-3.

I was wondering what this thread was all about until I read Sea Bass' post. My SAR-8 was one of the Greek imports and sure as heck doesn't have any aluminum receiver. Granted, it is distinguishable from the Original HK91, but not by much (Mag release, flash hider w/undrilled holes & screwed on so that the end of it is flush with the muzzle) That danged thumbhole stock was the first thing I ditched. The MSG-90 stock and PSG-1 grip are the way to go.

That all being said, My SAR-8 is, by and large, my favorite military style weapon that I have. Others being a pre-ban AR, Norinco AK (My dad's,) Springfield M1A, and a Garand. I've shot an '03 and an SMLE, and I still prefer the SAR-8. If you can't find/afford a real 91, go with the Greek/Springfield model. You can't lose.

Back